Question about post bacc premed and GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrazyLikeAFox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I know you hate these, but could you all please look at my situation really quickly. I have an undergraduate degree in philosophy with a 3.35 gpa, with a good upward trend. However, i do not have all of the prereq science courses. My questions
1)is is OK to take these requirments at a community college or is this frowned upon?
2)Do i have to do a post bacc premed program? (do not really want to because none are in my home town)
3)If i do well in the science classes (which i think i will) How am i sitting getting excepted into a DO school? what should my MCAT look like?

THANKS, i really appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

1)yes
2)no
3) you will be fine if you do well (A's and B's ) in all of your pre-reqs and get MCAT of around 26-27.
Ofcourse this is just an estimate. Things like volunteering, shadowing, LORs your PS and other Ecs matter a lot too.
Just work hard and you will make it:luck: :luck: :luck:

Hello All,

I know you hate these, but could you all please look at my situation really quickly. I have an undergraduate degree in philosophy with a 3.35 gpa, with a good upward trend. However, i do not have all of the prereq science courses. My questions
1)is is OK to take these requirments at a community college or is this frowned upon?
2)Do i have to do a post bacc premed program? (do not really want to because none are in my home town)
3)If i do well in the science classes (which i think i will) How am i sitting getting excepted into a DO school? what should my MCAT look like?

THANKS, i really appreciate the help.

hard to say... some people say that taking pre-reqs at CCs is looked down upon, others say no. I would try not to take EVERY pre-req at a CC, but if that's your only option, I don't think it would be application suicide.

A post-bac program isn't required... it would help, but it really is just a structured way for you to get your reqs completed and get yourself set for med school. It would, however, give you the benefit of a pre-med advisor that would help you with your application.

I think if you nail your pre-reqs (resulting in a bump to your regular GPA and a strong science GPA), you'll have a good shot at a DO school. I can't tell you what your MCAT should be, but aim as high as possible to give you that safety range and search around to see the averages for some of the schools out there (I think they range from 24-29 depending on the school).

Finally, make sure you have good extracurricular involvement and good letters of recommendation (a DO letter will be very helpful if you're applying DO).

Members don't see this ad :)
Your situation sounds similar to mine, sorta. i have an undergrad degree in psych, also with a gpa alittle above 3.3 and then decided to go the medical school route. i didnt take my science courses in a post-bacc program, so that answers that question. as to the community college - not sure how great that will sound on an app, but if its ur only choice, what are u supposed to do? and btw, although i wasnt in a post-bacc program, i had access to the pre-health advisor. although its not the same as a community college, i took my post-bacc sciences (all eight of them) at a city university. but those science courses are the key - get A's and B's (mostly A's) and that will show a commitment to pre-med and will help offset your regular undergrad gpa. oh yeah, the mcat - do as well as u can - high 20's would prob be what you need. To give u some incentive - with about a 3.3 undergrad and a 3.6 post-bacc in my sciences and a high 20 mcat - i will be attending NYCOM in the fall.

Make sure the cc is an accredited college... You don't want to take all your classes and find out they do not count!

I might be making this up so let me know if I am... I think it is true though.