question about pre-med classes

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by silver_eyes, Dec 9, 2002.

1. silver_eyes

silver_eyes Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    hello,
    i was looking at ucsf med school catalog and it says, "Undergraduate School: Premedical work may be taken at any undergraduate school, as long as it is accredited." what does accredited mean?

i called stanford and ucdavis to tell them if it was ok to take organic chemistry at a JC since i cant afford the summer school here ($400+ a unit....1 year of o chem is 10 units). both of them said that it is ok if i take any of my premed courses otusid eo fthe uni i go to, as long a si dont take all of them.

also, a orthopedic surgeon, a friend of my father's told him that ucdavis med favors california residents. does any other school in cali favor cali residents?

thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Noctrine

Noctrine Junior Member

Silver_eyes,

An accredited school is one that is recognized by one of the regional accrediation boards (redundant definition I know) and basically means that courses taken or degrees received at an accredited institution will be recognized universally. Check out

http://www.wascweb.org/senior/directories.htm

for California and

http://www.utexas.edu/world/univ/state/

for all of the US.

--

And yes, it is ok to take some of the standard pre-med courses outside of your university. There is some good info like this in the 2002-2003 "letter to pre-meds" at this link:

http://questscholars.stanford.edu/activities/professional/pre-med_letter/premed_myths_download.shtml

-Nelson

4. silver_eyes

Pre-Medical
    thanks noctrine.

that helped a lot. alot of the things have to do specifically with stanford.

but thanks.

the junior college that i am gonna take ochem at is not accreddited....is that ok? the admissions office didnt say anythign abotu being accredited or not when i calle dthem..stanford and ucdavis

5. paean

paean Senior Member

If it's a public CA community college, then it should be fine. Thechnically the whole CC system in CA is one university with many campuses, and it is accreditied. Accreditation only becomes an issue if you take classes at very small unknown colleges, for-profit colleges (like U of Phoenix), or corrospondance school/adult education classes.

6. silver_eyes

Pre-Medical
    oh ok thanks.

i need your guy's opinion..ok i saw this brochure in our classromom building at school about pre-med advsing and whatnot.

I called these pre-med advisor people and they are sooo anal and like getting on my nerves and they like scare u
    and this guy was gonna send me something in the mail and i asked him i was like did u go to medical school or are u currently a med student and he was like no. i am a professional pre-med advisor. i do that for a living and then he is like may i ask why......OH NO..first he was like that is an interesting question lol.
    and i was like well, not to be mean or anything but it seems to be that they have actually gone through the process that u are just adressing and lecturing about ona peice of paper and they will be able to answer questions better than u for example, because they have actually gone through the process. lol.....and he like paused for a sec and he was liek well let me tell u this.....we have over 1000 clients.bklah blah. he started giving me statistics.

the organization is called inquarta (www.inquarta.com) i called them and i didnt like their attitude. the guy is like scaring me
    i told him i got a C in g chem and he was like well med schools really dont like that blah blah and that is a VERY important issue that we need to address it right away. what time are u available for a face to face appointment? the guy basically told me, if i dont get all A's and very few B's that i wont make it. i was shaking when he said that. i was like OMG, im not gonna make it.

i think they are a joke and just want my money. i mean how can u work with people like that when they think they are the $hit , u know?

like in high school, i went to this thing called acheiva.they help u out getting into undergrad schools and they were a joke. just wanted my daddy's money.

so...dou guys know of any good pre-med advising organization?

thanks....God i need to calm down.

7. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios

There probably arent any good professional premed advisors that dont work for universities. If your university premed advisor or your friends cant help, try SDN, if SDN cant help, well that rarely happens.

8. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member

You should take your basic premed requirement at a 4-year institution. That doesn't mean that you need to take them at Stanford, but I certainly would not take O-Chem at a CC. It will look like you are trying to take the easy route, especially after the C in Gen Chem.

9. silver_eyes

Pre-Medical
    ia m doing that b/c my family is tight on money. summer school is expensive.

10. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Why do you want to take it in the summer? Just take it during the regular semester. Organic chemistry during the summer can be difficult as it moves very quickly (they try to cram the whole year of Organic Chemistry in 10 weeks or so). Enjoy your summer and stay away from school.

11. silver_eyes

Pre-Medical
    for me..it is easier to concentrate on just ochem, rather than ochem and then 2 or 3 more classes in the regular semester.