1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Question about pre-med/dent committee and applying

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Pontifex Maximus, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If your undergrad school has a pre-dent committee, is it essential to get their letter for applying? If not, it would greatly help me out, as they have some very short deadlines they declined to inform me about in order to apply for this coming cycle (2005), and since they only interview during finals week in Spring, I'm kinda screwed. Thanks guys and gals.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BiOGoly

BiOGoly PharmD, BCGP
    15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Some schools prefer committee letters and some don't care...I've never heard of a school that absolutely required them though. The whole concept of a committee recommendation seems counter-intuitive to me anyway. A letter of recommendation should be a sincere and personal communication of your character and ablities by someone who really knows you, and a committee letter is basically the antithesis of that. If a school already has your transcripts why would they want a letter that simply regurgitates the obvious?

4. marshall

marshall SDN Donor
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I can shed some light on this. First, those committees take in the three letters or however many and send them off with their letter. So the schools do get those personal recommendations.

Secondly, in this composite letter the committee does a couple of things. It directly states how you compare to other students at your university and it also emphasizes things that the recommenders may have missed (since you typically can't read all of your letters).

They also usually send a listing of the premedical/predental courses and some down-to-earth information about them like "this course is very hard and competitive" or "this course is the easy way out of the sequence" or "the median grade for this course is a B-".

Cheers,
    Marshall

5. JavadiCavity

JavadiCavity DDS 2008
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I'm unable to go through the pre-dent committee at school, so I called the dental schools I'm interested in applying to and asked them if that would hurt my application. Out of the 10 schools I called, not one of them said it would be harmful. And, out of those 10, only one school requested that I mention in my AADSAS application why I didn't go through committee.

Anyway, talking with the schools about my questions did wonders for making me feel better about the whole process.

6. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Fantastic. That makes me feel a lot better. Thanks for everyone's responses :)

7. RaiderNation

RaiderNation Recently Reinstated
    7+ Year Member

Why weren't you able to go through your pre-dent committee? Is it because of time, or do different committe's have different requirements to go through them?