Question about pre-reqs before matriculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonhamm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a chemistry major but never took introductory bio in college. I want to apply June 2014, so my plan was to take one semester of bio this fall (the arguably more important one), the MCAT in spring, and then not take the second semester of biology until the following Spring (2015), right before matriculation. How feasible is this plan?

If it matters, my bio knowledge is already pretty good - I've taken some upper level courses and I've done extensive research - so I'm not worried about not being prepared enough when I start med school or take the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are 100% fine. You can take courses right up until you go to med school, as long as you communicate your goals. Many med schools specifically ask what courses you are planning to take during you application year.

Actually some schools require you to be done with your pre-reqs the calendar year before matriculation. You may want to look up which ones are which so you don't screw yourself over.