1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

question about premed course requirements

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by StewieGriffin, Apr 6, 2004.

1. StewieGriffin

StewieGriffin Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

so i kind of 'forgot' to take one of the semesters of biology with lab. got general bio and its lab. but not another.
    actually i didnt foret, but my advisor told me that this one class i took (systems neruoscience w. neuroanatomy lab) would count for the requirement, then told me later (after this years drop date) that it wouldnt. anyways, thats a whole other story,
    but, i am a graduating senior and looking to apply for this upcoming go round (as early as possilbe) and was wondering if i could still apply with a note or something saying that i will take the required biology with lab this upcomoing summer or fall.
    or is it required to have to have that grade on my transcript before med schools even consider my app?
    what do you think, guys? dont tell me im the only idiot here who messed up his course requisites
    thanks
    -sg

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TripleDegree

TripleDegree Joker Doctor
    10+ Year Member

Don't sweat it - the prerequisites are meant to be completed by the time you matriculate, not apply. As long as you can demonstrate a reasonable plan to complete the prereqs by this time, you should be fine.

Having said this, if you are short by more than 10 courses, then that might be an issue. HOwever, in your situation, nothing to worry.

4. periodic

periodic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That class sounds badass (systems neuroscience and neuroanatomy).

Just seconding TripleDegree...you just need to have prereqs done by matriculation. With just one class+lab to do, you're fine.

5. StewieGriffin

7+ Year Member

awesome, thats good to know. so there's no hurry to take that bio w. lab until this next fall or so as i will hopefully be matriculating 2005.
    much thanks guys.
    also, yes it was a pretty badass class. i friggin love the brain.

6. braduva

braduva Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

my question is where you put in the aamc application your plans to finish the prereqs. i have one semester of orgo left that i will do this fall... i graduated 3 years ago and will be taking the class at a school other than my undergrad. do i list the school under courses taken, and then do i have to get a transcript for a course i havent even taken yet.. or do i leave it off the application, and just discuss it in a secondary or interview.. will not having listed the class on the aamc application hinder my chances of getting a secondary/interview.. any thoughts appreciated.

7. Arginine

Arginine happiest of amino acids
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There's a section in AMCAS for listing classes that you plan to take. In a lot of the secondary apps that I filled out, I found that some med schools also ask you to list classes that you plan to take (even though they do get the info from AMCAS). No transcript needed until after you've completed the class, of course! Usually the med school you choose to attend wants a final transcript of all your coursework sent directly to the school before matriculation. :luck:

8. StewieGriffin

7+ Year Member

I think the appropriate action would be to list the course in the course work section as current/future and in the transcript request section label it as not required. This is what I've gathered from searching sdn. hopefully that works and won't delay any processing. That is what I'm going to do.....

9. Anka

Anka Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think your systems neuroscience w/ lab counts. I used a neuroscience course to fulfill the requirement (& was admitted just fine).

Anka