question about program follow-up with interviewees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anaismd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if programs who are interested in applicants generally follow-up with all applicants or if they follow-up with only the top half of their rank list or only the top 10 or 20 on their rank list....

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the program. Are you referring to a specific place or just curious in general? Some programs do not follow up at all.

I'm applying in FP. Because there are fewer applications this year than ever before, some programs are recruiting hard. I have gotten phone calls from residents who I know I didn't give my # to, I've gotten letters from teh offices/PD and even phone calls from some of the PD. I guess it depends on where your applying and in what field.

It totally depends on which program. I was told by a resident I am friends with at a program that I will be ranked highly, since the PD told him so...yet I have not heard anything from them. The resident said that they don't really get back to anyone. One other program in particular is recruiting pretty heavily and has sent me letters, and I have not communicated with them at all. I think every place does things differently.

i was only contacted by 3 out of 8 programs post-interview (about 37%). a few of the programs told everybody at the interview that you will not here anything from them before the match though.

i think it depends on the program, how bad they want a candidate, and how competitive the field is.

what has everyone else experienced?