Question about psych electives during 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iatro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a M4 interested in applying psych. I was only able to get into a community psych and child psych elective before ERAS opens and my psych sub-i will be after.

I was wondering if this will impact my application negatively. I did well in the 3rd year elective with an honors. Also, how many LOR from psych should I be aiming for

Members don't see this ad.

I am a M4 interested in applying psych. I was only able to get into a community psych and child psych elective before ERAS opens and my psych sub-i will be after.

I was wondering if this will impact my application negatively. I did well in the 3rd year elective with an honors. Also, how many LOR from psych should I be aiming for

It doesn't matter if you did well 3rd year. Best to save room for electives you won't do in residency (endo, tox, gi, rheum, etc).

1-2 good psych letters is plenty

Reactions: 1 user

At my school pretty much everyone applied with 2 psych letters and 2 non psych. I used IM, I know other people who used peds, family, obgyn, neuro, pretty much anything is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my third-year psych rotation and one fourth-year psych rotation before applying. I'd recommend doing as many non-psych rotations as possible. I had 2 psych letters, 1 medicine, and one family medicine.

I agree with doing non-psych electives. I did almost all my electives in psych and did a DO traditional rotating year and there are no "teams" you are on your own for IM rotations, the attending came in late after noon , you are on your own for rapid responses on days you are the house officer. I was scared to death. I learned FAST but I was SCARED. In allopathic residencies it's different, but it still would have been nice to have more knowledge as an intern

If you want a rotation to see death row and ad seg patients, pm me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user