Question about PsyD and PhD in Clinical Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freudpsych45t

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I just have some questions. If you could please answer any I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not sure If I should go for a PhD in Clinical Psychology or a PsyD in Clinical Psychology.

1. Do I have to keep doing research after I have my PhD in Clinical Psychology or can I just concentrate on practice?

2. What provides more job opportunities and is more respected among clients? PhD in Clincial Psychology or a PsyD in Clinical psychology?

3. Are there any teaching positions at colleges that do not require continued research productivity?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there!

I just have some questions. If you could please answer any I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not sure If I should go for a PhD in Clinical Psychology or a PsyD in Clinical Psychology.

1. Do I have to keep doing research after I have my PhD in Clinical Psychology or can I just concentrate on practice?

2. What provides more job opportunities and is more respected among clients? PhD in Clincial Psychology or a PsyD in Clinical psychology?

3. Are there any teaching positions at colleges that do not require continued research productivity?

#'s 1 and 3 were addressed in your other thread on this topic.

As for #2, if you do a search of the forums, you'll find a plethora of threads on the Ph.D. vs. Psy.D. debate. In short, the average client likely has little to no knowledge or opinion regarding the often-subtle differences between the two. Professionally, the Ph.D. may be seen as more prestigious in some circles, and there are still some sites that require or prefer a Ph.D.; however, as a whole, the field has largely shifted toward viewing the Ph.D. and the Psy.D. (assuming they're both earned from reputable institutions) as equivalent degrees.