Question about quitting engineering masters before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wugui

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering quitting an engineering masters program that I'm through halfway.
Applying to MD is a career switch to for me.
I know it's optimal to finish the masters, but that's 35k more in loans (I have no fellowship or research funding) and I'd rather use the time for research or clinical volunteering.
My current understanding is that:

1) I have a 3.9/36+ undergrad so I think quitting a masters will hurt my app but not by that much if I can explain properly.

2) I've read that if I don't intend to finish a grad program before matriculation, I should withdraw from it definitively before applying. Ideally I'd like to remain in the engineering masters program (as a safety) before getting admitted though.

How true are my 2 assumptions?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the consensus is it will look bad if you are enrolled in a masters program that won't be completed before your intended matriculation. Some schools require that you finish any programs you're enrolled in before matriculation. I know this has come up for a couple people who ended up having to switch from thesis to non thesis masters in order to be "graduated" from their masters before matriculation. So, I think you have to either quit, or intend to finish but you can't intend both at once.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your ECs.

Do you have a solid well rounded app? Then I would get out while you can and save the 35k, there is no reason you should not matriculate to med school with those numbers assuming you can interview

Are you missing clinical experience, LORs etc? Then stay in the program until you can complete them.

Survivor DO

It would also depend on how well you can explain dropping your MS program to adcoms. One thing they might get you on is: If you were so quick to drop out of your MS, what's to stop you from doing the same for your MD?

Also, you'd still need to report your grad program grades even if you drop, so keep that in mind.