Quantcast

question about quitting volunteering..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustaDO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
No, as volunteers are a dime a dozen, and you being there or not more then likely does not have a bearing on anyone's day, nor would anyone be likely to remember you.

Yes, plenty of people have quit things they don't like before.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You will need some volunteering over the course of your college career if you intend to apply right out of college. In my opinion, everyone should be able to average 1 hour of service in their local community per week over 156 weeks (three years between HS graduation and the time you apply as a rising college senior). If you have volunteer hours, either clinical or non-clinical, from some other activity, go ahead and drop the hospital. However, consider that you give pre-meds a bad name because the hospital invested resources (employee time, training materials, etc) and that has all been a waste.

faerie62

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes I plan on volunteering somewhere else... my other motivation is that I volunteer in the ED and also work in the ED, so on a personal level I don't feel like I'm gaining anything or learning anything from my volunteer position, which is basically no set responsibilities-- just do whatever odds and ends needs to be done, and clean some beds.

And yes, I'm aware that I'm causing them an inconvenience... I feel bad about it, but I guess not bad enough to continue an unpaid position over a paid position that I don't enjoy.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.