Question about Rank/Match odds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tooth Whisperer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard from several people that if you rank so many programs you have such and such odds of matching. The numbers are always different, (e.g. Rank 5 programs 97% chance of matching or 8 programs or whatever) but nobody can tell me a source for this information. Anyone know anything about this? It's possibly different for different types of programs. I am interested in pedo so any specific info about his would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

you rank all the programs you are willing to go to, in the order you want....

no reason to take a chance... if you like 20 programs.... rank all.... and you will be matched with the highest match...

if you only ranked 8.... you may not make it.... and if you 9th choice would have taken you.,.. it may not be available after the match

to harm in ranking all programs you may want... or accepting a program not in match...(but you would then have to withdraw from match)

Thank you for your response. But has anyone heard this or a similar statement, "If you rank 5 schools you have a 97% chance of matching." I don't know where they are getting this percentage, from what I know about match it doesn't seem like you could have any idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard similar things. A thread on here said 7 ranks = 95% chance or something. That being said, I met a guy this past year who interviewed at 9 OMFS programs and didn't match so who knows. I am hoping for 10 interviews and if I don't match, I figure it means I suck at interviewing. The National matching website has stats for last year. 95% of people who matched into OMFS matched into their top 5 so to me that says if you are a good candidate, you probably will match to one of your top 5. 87% matched to their top 3.

There is no such statistic. I'm sure there is some correlation, however, between strong candidates and the number of interviews they are invited to. And it obviously makes sense that the more interviews you have, the greater chances of matching at least in one them. But, it comes down to the individual. One person with 15 interviews may match at their number one choice. One may match at their last choice. One may not match at all. If you are really cocky at all of your interviews acting like they have already accepted you, most likely the latter will occur. So, there is no magic formula, except more is usually better, but you only need to match at one.

to harm in ranking all programs you may want... or accepting a program not in match...(but you would then have to withdraw from match)

This is a different topic now....

Why would a program not participate in match? On a very superficial view, it appears to benefit both program and applicants.

Is there a financial or control over the proccess aspect?

Any thoughts?

In the med residency world, is it not near 100% match-like process?

I'm not speaking from experience here, only what seems logical. The programs not participating in match can prey upon your insecurities. They offer you a spot in their program before match occurs and give you 48 hours to give them your reply. You may not want to go there as much as another program, but at least it's guranteed, so you worry you won't match and you take the spot.

SUPPOSEDLY, match is supposed to be in the applicants favor, so all the same stellar applicants aren't getting accepted to many different programs, and then everybody scrambles to fill up their spots.

It sounds like there is quite a lot of post matching done in pedo, but that's just my perception.

When I applied to OMFS the past 2 years:
My first year I had 9 interviews, ranked all 9, did not match.
My second year I had 3 interviews, ranked all 3 and matched.

Nothing is said and done.

When I applied to OMFS the past 2 years:
My first year I had 9 interviews, ranked all 9, did not match.
My second year I had 3 interviews, ranked all 3 and matched.

Nothing is said and done.

Would you mind sharing what program you are currently at?

I can answer that... our program is NOT in the match....
WHY? - many programs are not in it, even the programs in it often "make many exceptions"

every year, some people withdraw from interviews... they were accepted into match programs... there is no punishment
every year residents do not honor the match.... they change their minds... there is no punishment, even with a signed contract.
some match programs put pressure on students anyway... you rank us one - we will rank you one.
and i can go on...

we try to balance our program from different schools... we try to take some students that can really benefit from the residency. When in the match we got 5 out of 6 from one school... we would have perfered a "weaker" student to better balance the program. It was nearly impossible to rank a student with low class standings for fear of having all 6.

Now with 10 residents... we are still out of the match... we accept early to allow students to decide and withdraw from match to keep everything ethical.

The dental match is not like the medical match.

until there is a better way to blend our program - different schools, different class rankings, cultural diversity... the match is not for us.

I can answer that... our program is NOT in the match....
WHY? - many programs are not in it, even the programs in it often "make many exceptions"

every year, some people withdraw from interviews... they were accepted into match programs... there is no punishment
every year residents do not honor the match.... they change their minds... there is no punishment, even with a signed contract.
some match programs put pressure on students anyway... you rank us one - we will rank you one.
and i can go on...

we try to balance our program from different schools... we try to take some students that can really benefit from the residency. When in the match we got 5 out of 6 from one school... we would have perfered a "weaker" student to better balance the program. It was nearly impossible to rank a student with low class standings for fear of having all 6.

Now with 10 residents... we are still out of the match... we accept early to allow students to decide and withdraw from match to keep everything ethical.

The dental match is not like the medical match.

until there is a better way to blend our program - different schools, different class rankings, cultural diversity... the match is not for us.

You made 2 very strong points, thanks.

I didn't see those potential very negative components of not having the final control over who you accept.