Question about ranking for match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure if this belong to allopathic or residency but since every resident has gone thru the rank, and only a minority of med students have done it i decided to put it here.

anywhere based on this document http://b83c73bcf0e7ca356c80-e8560f4...NRMP-Match-Process-Run-a-Match-Match-Logo.pdf

of how match works. it seems to me that you should put locations that you believe are the hardest to get into on the top of the list correct? Since based on that form, the system just goes down your list and where you get accepted to doesn't actually depend on what spot you put it on your rank, since acceptance is determined by the schools rank of you. its only where you end up matching that is dependent on your list. So for example if i put Downstate as rank 1, and they have 50 spots, and they ranked me #49, the rank stops then stops there correct? even if my rank #2-10 were like harvard, yale, columbia, and they all ranked me #1, it doesn't matter since I made it on downstates list. am i understanding this right?

I'm just wondering because in the past, programs have informed students post interview that they should rank the program high on their list. But if the match works like in that document, then telling teh student to rank them high is mainly for the benefit of the program (b/c the program ranked them high), w/o really benefiting the student b/c even if the student ranked them low, they will still get in if they didn't match w/ other places?

Members don't see this ad.

What you said about matching at Downstate is correct. If you rank it #1, and you're in their top 50 or whatever, you stop at Downstate and match there. However, this means you have priority, not Downstate. So, yes, rank Harvard, Yale, etc. higher, but only if you'd rather match at those places. If you most want to match at Downstate, rank it first.

The match favors the applicant. So, just rank the programs as you'd like to go there. If your #1 has you high enough, you'll match there. The only way you wouldn't match is if so many other people ranked your #1 as their #1, that the program fills. But, if you'd ranked it like #8 or #9, it would not have improved your chances.

Don't over think the match algorithm. Just rank your list in the order of the programs you'd like to go to most to least.

From the very end of the document:

CONSIDERATIONS
  • Ford, Davis, and Eastman used the Match to their advantage by ranking all acceptable programs to maximize their chances for a match. They, in addition to Chen, were smart to rank programs in order of preference and not based on where they believed they might match.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure if this belong to allopathic or residency but since every resident has gone thru the rank, and only a minority of med students have done it i decided to put it here.

anywhere based on this document http://b83c73bcf0e7ca356c80-e8560f4...NRMP-Match-Process-Run-a-Match-Match-Logo.pdf

of how match works. it seems to me that you should put locations that you believe are the hardest to get into on the top of the list correct? Since based on that form, the system just goes down your list and where you get accepted to doesn't actually depend on what spot you put it on your rank, since acceptance is determined by the schools rank of you. its only where you end up matching that is dependent on your list. So for example if i put Downstate as rank 1, and they have 50 spots, and they ranked me #49, the rank stops then stops there correct? even if my rank #2-10 were like harvard, yale, columbia, and they all ranked me #1, it doesn't matter since I made it on downstates list. am i understanding this right?

I'm just wondering because in the past, programs have informed students post interview that they should rank the program high on their list. But if the match works like in that document, then telling teh student to rank them high is mainly for the benefit of the program (b/c the program ranked them high), w/o really benefiting the student b/c even if the student ranked them low, they will still get in if they didn't match w/ other places?

1)you'll match at downstate.

2)seriously? i'm about ot get a little real with you. rank the programs how you like them. if it so happens a program also states that they want you to rank them highly and you have them ranked highly, MATCH (hopefully). as it has been repeated OVER AND OVER, don't give two ****s about what the post-interview communication tells you. stop being neurotic.

and, by the way, your question doesn't really even make sense. if X student doesn't match at their top Y choices, then all those programs wanted other applicants more than X student. it actually BENEFITS the X student that they know they have a "stop" in their rank list if they know they are ranked to match; then they'll know they won't fall below that particular program.

ALSO, the match algorithm is based off a nobel prize winning algorithm used in economics. not just some silly MD's pulling names out of a hat.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it good to maybe rank a "safer-bet" program as your number 4 or 5 or 6 or so whatever you feel is the margin of potentially going unmatched... I m just wondering if you ve already moved down to your number 5 or 6 arent your chances of matching falling quickly? Should you maybe rank a less competitive program that seemed to have liked you, basically as people have said a place you think "you have a high chance of matching at" as lets say your number 5 or so?

Is it good to maybe rank a "safer-bet" program as your number 4 or 5 or 6 or so whatever you feel is the margin of potentially going unmatched... I m just wondering if you ve already moved down to your number 5 or 6 arent your chances of matching falling quickly? Should you maybe rank a less competitive program that seemed to have liked you, basically as people have said a place you think "you have a high chance of matching at" as lets say your number 5 or so?
you are an idiot

Reactions: 1 users
No. As has been mentioned basically a million or so times, whenever a program on your list gets filled (without matching you in it), the algorithm automatically makes the next program on your list your new #1. So if you get down to 5, it's now your #1.

Stop being crazy.

Dude you got the whole thing wrong. Let me given you an example how you can screw yourself if you follow your logic:

You interview at St Mary hospital in the middle of nowhere and they give you great feedback and post interview communication that you are ranked to match. you are ok with the program but have much better options that you think you are less likely to match at any of them. you follow your logic and rank you programs like this so you have St Mary as a safety net:

1-MGH
2-Duke
3-Upenn
4-BWH
5-St Mary
6-JHH
7-UCLA
8-Vanderbilt
9-NW

The match days comes and you match at St. Mary Hospital. How do you know that JHH or UCLA didn't go a little bit down on their list and you're in their "match zone" now. You will never know that you might have missed a chance to match at a better institution.

While if you rank St Mary at the bottom, it's a win-win for you. if no other programs rank you, you will still match there (and they will never know they were at the bottom of your list). If any of the better programs ranked you to match (although you didn't feel like it) or they went down on their list, you'll match at a better place (yes, you will break St Mary's heart ...but who cares?).

I cannot believe someone already in the match and doesn't know this simple logic !

Reactions: 1 user

Don't often break this one out, but...

Reactions: 1 users