Question about reapplication...MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClemsonRunner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I applied last year (late and only to 2 in-state schools) and did not get in. I interviewed at one school and the only problem they had with my application was my low MCAT (23O). I have a great GPA, much clinical/volunteering experience, and also am a professional horse back rider. I just finished filling out the 2009 AMCAS and am debating about which option to pursue. I retake the MCAT on July 18th. I was planning to apply ED to the in-state school where I interviewed last cycle. However, if I am not accepted ED (there is no telling what my MCAT will be) then I will be pushed in to later deadlines for other schools. So, should I apply ED to my in-state school or go ahead and apply extremely broadly all over the US? I want to submit my AMCAS ASAP so that I am not applying late once again. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Most people will tell you to apply broadly.
I took the MCAT in mid-July and applied EDP. Have you been in contact with the school to which you will apply EDP? If you are applying EDP, you need to be pretty sure that you will get accepted. If not, it's really not worth the risk. Now you have no idea on that until you get your MCAT back, but maybe you can take an educated guess based on practice tests and feedback from the school.

It's quite a leap to go from a 23 on the MCAT, to something that will make you competitive as an EDP. You probably need a 10 point jump.

What are the reasons you are thinking of going EDP?
If you provide some more details, I might be able to give some more useful advice. Like I said before, your best bet is to talk to the school first.

Hi all! I applied last year (late and only to 2 in-state schools) and did not get in. I interviewed at one school and the only problem they had with my application was my low MCAT (23O). I have a great GPA, much clinical/volunteering experience, and also am a professional horse back rider. I just finished filling out the 2009 AMCAS and am debating about which option to pursue. I retake the MCAT on July 18th. I was planning to apply ED to the in-state school where I interviewed last cycle. However, if I am not accepted ED (there is no telling what my MCAT will be) then I will be pushed in to later deadlines for other schools. So, should I apply ED to my in-state school or go ahead and apply extremely broadly all over the US? I want to submit my AMCAS ASAP so that I am not applying late once again. Thanks!!

I would apply broadly myself. I would only do ED if I got a 30 MCAT with an even spread.

I feel your pain. I got a 24 last year :(

I will not be applying for several years though so I have time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply broadly, broadly, and broadly. Applicants often underestimate how unpredictable the process can be, and make the fatal mistake of applying to only a few schools. Study hard to boost your MCAT scores, and don't go for the ED. You don't want to hang yourself on that particular tree if there's a forest out there.

Apply broadly, broadly, and broadly. Applicants often underestimate how unpredictable the process can be, and make the fatal mistake of applying to only a few schools. Study hard to boost your MCAT scores, and don't go for the ED. You don't want to hang yourself on that particular tree if there's a forest out there.

Definitely agree about applying broadly and not go EDP, other suggestion is to start contacting schools once you know your score before you decide where to apply, I did last year and two schools (Creighton & one other whose name I forget) said that with certain MCAT scores, there's no chance for an interview. If the schools will tell you this (which makes sense that you ask before sending in the $80 or so secondary fee) why not ask them? I'd suggest doing the AAMCAS primary with 1 or 2 schools on the list so that amcas will start verifying transcripts, and once the MCAT score is available in August, depending on how it turns out, you can decide which schools to add through the electronic Aamcas primary. This is way fast (around a day or two) between when you add the school and the school receives your info, provided Aamcas has completed the verification process already. MCAT scores flow into Aamcas directly/automatically.

You absolutely need to apply widely and early. If either your GPA or MCAT are below average I would apply to at least 20-25 schools (from all tiers), if at all possible.

Thanks so much for the replies! I have decided that I am going to apply to ~15 schools and move my MCAT date to August to give me a little more time to study!!!