Question about Release from Active Duty (RAD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JA_Perez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can somebody separate form the military after being stationed 2.5 years in Pearl Harbor, HI although the orders are for 3 years. My HPSP commitment is done after 2.5 years (July 08) but my order's PRD date is Jan 09(3 years). What is the best way to address this situation? Is it possible to be released six months prior to completing the tour? (Remember HPSP commitment is over by then.) Thank for your help. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

JA_Perez said:
Can somebody separate form the military after being stationed 2.5 years in Pearl Harbor, HI although the orders are for 3 years. My HPSP commitment is done after 2.5 years (July 08) but my order's PRD date is Jan 09(3 years). What is the best way to address this situation? Is it possible to be released six months prior to completing the tour? (Remember HPSP commitment is over by then.) Thank for your help. :thumbup:

I'm USAF, but likely your "overseas" HI assignment had a 3 year commitment with it. If you look at your record, what is the date of your separation listed at? Also, on your original orders, you likely had to sign for any extension for that assignment. If you didn't read the fine print, there may be chance you didn't see the added ADSC time for an "overseas assignment". The tricky thing about the military is you can incur an ADSC for a number of things:

1)HPSP
2) assignment (generally overseas are 36 months unless you go to a remote assignment)
3) taking bonus money
4) training (fellowships)
and so on.

If I were you, I'd be finding all my old paperwork and look into it cuz 6 months is nothing to sneeze at... GOOD LUCK !

When you are 13 months out from the expiration of your commitment turn in your resignation and let them know your obligation ends in July 08. They will check over it and let you know if you owe more time. Did you tell your detailer up front this was the scenario?

JA_Perez said:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input guys. But assuming that there is a 3 year commitment on the Billet ("I am not really sure"), is there a way of getting released before that? For example: getting the CO's approval.

I'm not a lawyer but it's common sense. They generally won't keep you past the expiration of your contract. You need to talk to your detailer about it and give them appropriate notice. If you don't your billet might be gapped and this will really make people upset.

JA_Perez said:
Thank you for your input guys. But assuming that there is a 3 year commitment on the Billet ("I am not really sure"), is there a way of getting released before that? For example: getting the CO's approval.

JA_Perez said:

I recently had this same situation, except mine was much simpler. I transferred off the ship to shore duty on the same base.

My job is primarily admin.

I submitted my RAD for JUN06 in concurrence with my EAOS. The detailer stated that since I transferred from the ship in SEP04 and my orders were for 24mo, I was now obligated through SEP06. Also my relief could not arrive until AUG. Obviously that sent me into orbit since my civ residency is expecting me JULY 1st. Fortunately my Command here was very supportive and endorsed a gap in the billet from JUN to AUG. Since the job was covered and I had the commands support the detailer approved my RAD and I got my orders to separate in JUN.

Here is my take on your situation: The detailer is going to be a lot tighter since they moved you to Hawaii. It is unlikely that you will be able to get approved for a 6 mo gap, but if your relief can be there in Jan and your command supports it you might be able to pull it off. Do you have a compelling reason to leave in July? That always helps.

Good luck!

mildoc said:
I recently had this same situation, except mine was much simpler. I transferred off the ship to shore duty on the same base.

My job is primarily admin.

I submitted my RAD for JUN06 in concurrence with my EAOS. The detailer stated that since I transferred from the ship in SEP04 and my orders were for 24mo, I was now obligated through SEP06. Also my relief could not arrive until AUG. Obviously that sent me into orbit since my civ residency is expecting me JULY 1st. Fortunately my Command here was very supportive and endorsed a gap in the billet from JUN to AUG. Since the job was covered and I had the commands support the detailer approved my RAD and I got my orders to separate in JUN.

Here is my take on your situation: The detailer is going to be a lot tighter since they moved you to Hawaii. It is unlikely that you will be able to get approved for a 6 mo gap, but if your relief can be there in Jan and your command supports it you might be able to pull it off. Do you have a compelling reason to leave in July? That always helps.

Good luck!

Can I request request a PRD adjustment in my orders from Jan 09 to Jun 08?

Your situation sounds similar to mine. In that respect, your PRD superceeds your obligated service time. I am a 2 year HPSP and I did a navy internship. I finished internship in July, but my orders and report date were in October. Since there was a gap I was stashed until I reported to Camp Lejeune. Here is the kicker. The gap time I spent before reporting to my permanent duty station did not count for or againts me. The clock does not start for your payback time until your reach your duty station. Even though my OSD is July 2006, my PRD was pushed back to Octoter 2006 since I reported late. So techinically you have not met you payback yet.

You will be hard pressed to get out any eariler than your PRD date. Hardly any CO's will allow that large of a gap between billets. There are ways to chip away those 6 months. One is to stockpile your leave days. That way you can max out 2 months for terminal leave. If you are selected into some sort of training program you can take an additional month and get an early out as well as take 2 weeks for house hunting leave.

I hope this helps.

Can you post the instruction number?

I think there are two different issues here.

JA_Perez -
Check your orders. In them them there should be a statement something to the fact of "Execution of these orders is contingent upon agreement to remain on Active Duty until xxxxxxxxx." It is usually at the end of your orders. For INCONUS moves the agreement is usually 1 year, overseas it is usually 2 years. When I moved from overseas to stateside, my HPSP obligation was until 2000, but my orders said I agreed to remain on AD until 1999. (so the two were not linked.) My suspicion is that you will be able to RAD in Jul 08 vice Jan 09. But check your orders.

docpino -

Extrapolating from what you said, my guess is that you did a civilian internship. What is not commonly conferred is that there is a minimum 3 year Active Duty Obligation with any initial agreement to come onto AD. So a 2 year HPSP really has a 3 year obligation. The difference is that doing an intern year on AD counts toward that 3 year obligation. (the only time intern year is not neutral.) So you need to spend 3 years on AD total even though you only owe 2 years from HPSP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to be submitting my RAD while on an IA deployment in IRAQ. Does anyone hve any tips or suggestions on completing this succesfully from overseas?

I am going to be submitting my RAD while on an IA deployment in IRAQ. Does anyone hve any tips or suggestions on completing this succesfully from overseas?

Yes, make sure you start the process the full 12 months out, in fact, I would start gathering the instructions and go bys and have it ready to hit send at exactly the 12 month mark.

There are a couple of go bys out there, and one of them is a different format for when there were 2105's and 2100's. Now that there are only 2100's supposedly, it has some folks confused. I would get every go by and route them all at the same time. Kind of like hunting with bird shot, if you put enough lead downrange, your bound to hit something.

Then send an electronic copy to your chain of command on the day 365 before your contract ends. You will also need to send them a signed hard copy since they can't route an unsigned copy. Then call them pretty much daily to see where the request is in the routing.

Its also standard practice to for your chain of command to have a chat with you about all the reasons you should stay navy. I can tell you from personal experience, that they will not do this if you have made it sufficiently evident that it won't do much good.

Good luck and don't forget to hold the fact that your deployed over your chain of commands head as much as possible when getting them to help you route your resignation.

i want out

My RAD is certainly typed up and ready to submitt. However, the earliest I can do that is, July 1, 2008. I will be deployed starting in January. Since it is IA I am still attached to my current command. Has anyone had to submitt their RAD from an IA deployment? What difficultied did you have? What advice could you give me? Thanks

My RAD is certainly typed up and ready to submitt. However, the earliest I can do that is, July 1, 2008. I will be deployed starting in January. Since it is IA I am still attached to my current command. Has anyone had to submitt their RAD from an IA deployment? What difficultied did you have? What advice could you give me? Thanks

yes, I submitted mine while I was IA to the same AOR.

As I mentioned above, you will need to send a signed copy to your home command and have it routed there. You will likely run into some times when it stalls on somebodys desk, but when you call from Iraq, be sure to mention where your calling from, and they will be more likely to help you push it up the chain of command.

BTW, mine was just approved!!!
Stealth Gloat...

i want out

Your situation sounds similar to mine. In that respect, your PRD superceeds your obligated service time. I am a 2 year HPSP and I did a navy internship. I finished internship in July, but my orders and report date were in October. Since there was a gap I was stashed until I reported to Camp Lejeune. Here is the kicker. The gap time I spent before reporting to my permanent duty station did not count for or againts me. The clock does not start for your payback time until your reach your duty station. Even though my OSD is July 2006, my PRD was pushed back to Octoter 2006 since I reported late. So techinically you have not met you payback yet.

You will be hard pressed to get out any eariler than your PRD date. Hardly any CO's will allow that large of a gap between billets. There are ways to chip away those 6 months. One is to stockpile your leave days. That way you can max out 2 months for terminal leave. If you are selected into some sort of training program you can take an additional month and get an early out as well as take 2 weeks for house hunting leave.

I hope this helps.

Check with legal about that. Even if you were "stashed" you are still on active duty, and your repayment clock starts not with arrival at some duty station, but from the moment you graduate your residency. Any claims that you don't get credit for time between stations, for terminal leave or other active duty assignment isn't true. When you are stashed, even if you checked out of your ship command you are still under general orders and still under the authority of BUMED and whatever command has authority of the facilities where you "stash". They can't just extend your EAOS because your billet isn't ready. You can usually overlap with the medical officer you are relieving if you need to.

As for accepting PCS orders with a minimum of time at station, that can vary. I was TDY'd to backfill a forward theater FS billet whose own FS was transferred to a ship that was on a Persian Gulf float that lost an FS while on deployment because he reached his EAOS. All that happened because operational needs precluded a gapped billet afloat.

OK here is the deal. I was accepted in a July 2008 PGY-2 civilian ophthalmology position. My EAOS is JULY 08 (same date that my residency starts), my PRD in JAN 09 (a six month difference). My CO and my undersea medicine specialty leader are endorsing my release by my f-ing detailer is saying that I can’t leave before my PRD since HI is DoD tour. He then mentioned that the only way I can break away from my PRD is with a “By Name Request from GME”. Anyone knows what how in the hell can I get this? This guy is screwing my life for f-ing six months. I can’t believe he is also a physician…

OK here is the deal. I was accepted in a July 2008 PGY-2 civilian ophthalmology position. My EAOS is JULY 08 (same date that my residency starts), my PRD in JAN 09 (a six month difference). My CO and my undersea medicine specialty leader are endorsing my release by my f-ing detailer is saying that I can’t leave before my PRD since HI is DoD tour. He then mentioned that the only way I can break away from my PRD is with a “By Name Request from GME”. Anyone knows what how in the hell can I get this? This guy is screwing my life for f-ing six months. I can’t believe he is also a physician…

I don't know what to tell you from a legal standpoint. Your EAOS should allow you to get out. This set of orders shouldn't hold you over past that date, especially as it was your first set of orders. Be sure you don't take any bonus payments that might extend you on other terms.

If your personnel office can't help you, contact BUPERS. I hate to tell you, but you can't expect a physician detailer to help you, especially those types. They are not your friends. Try to imagine the sort of physician who chooses to become a detailer.

If that is not productive, submit a request for release from active duty through your command. The reason given is further professional medical training. Bird-dog that; make sure you keep aware of the progress of that request all along the way. Do this as early as possible.

If you get stonewalled, contact your legal office and at least get aware of your rights. I can't say they will likely be interested in an administrative matter, though. If that does not work, contact the SG's office. You can request mast if necessary. BUMED won't like that; they will treat you as radioactive. You can also contact your congressman and ask for an investigation if you are not successful there. I hardly need to tell you that if you get to this point that you need to keep very detailed records of your communications, written and oral, and a diary of your contacts. Lastly, if you cannot get anywhere and you think you are at risk for having your residency training contract offer withdrawn, hire a lawyer.

This is the type of crap for which the Navy deserves its bad reputation. And they wonder why no one wants their scholarships.

I don't know what to tell you from a legal standpoint. Your EAOS should allow you to get out. This set of orders shouldn't hold you over past that date, especially as it was your first set of orders. Be sure you don't take any bonus payments that might extend you on other terms.

If your personnel office can't help you, contact BUPERS. I hate to tell you, but you can't expect a physician detailer to help you, especially those types. They are not your friends. Try to imagine the sort of physician who chooses to become a detailer.

If that is not productive, submit a request for release from active duty through your command. The reason given is further professional medical training. Bird-dog that; make sure you keep aware of the progress of that request all along the way. Do this as early as possible.

If you get stonewalled, contact your legal office and at least get aware of your rights. I can't say they will likely be interested in an administrative matter, though. If that does not work, contact the SG's office. You can request mast if necessary. BUMED won't like that; they will treat you as radioactive. You can also contact your congressman and ask for an investigation if you are not successful there. I hardly need to tell you that if you get to this point that you need to keep very detailed records of your communications, written and oral, and a diary of your contacts. Lastly, if you cannot get anywhere and you think you are at risk for having your residency training contract offer withdrawn, hire a lawyer.

This is the type of crap for which the Navy deserves its bad reputation. And they wonder why no one wants their scholarships.

Thank you. I'm already considering legal assistance. But what are my chances of getting my RAD approved if my CO and Specialty Leader at BUMED are willing to support me? Will the detailer have a final word?

I was issued set of orders to an OCONUS location. I didn't have the opportunity to refuse them. How can you turn down a set of orders in the military? Talk to a civilian lawyer. Consider initiating a BCNR? Tell them the orders weren't voluntary (that is honest right?) and you want your date adjusted.

I was issued set of orders to an OCONUS location. I didn't have the opportunity to refuse them. How can you turn down a set of orders in the military? Talk to a civilian lawyer. Consider initiating a BCNR? Tell them the orders weren't voluntary (that is honest right?) and you want your date adjusted.

DO you think the BCNR is a good idea? Can they modify the PRD to match the EAOS?

Guys, I think I have no chances of leaving my current command until Jan 09. This means that I will not be able to be at my residency on July 08 but on Jan 09. What do you this I should do? Contact the program director and see if they can wait for me? Can they move my position to July 09? Any advice is greatly appreciated…

For all possible HPSP candidates, learn from my experience: DON"T JOIN!!!!

Guys, I think I have no chances of leaving my current command until Jan 09. This means that I will not be able to be at my residency on July 08 but on Jan 09. What do you this I should do? Contact the program director and see if they can wait for me? Can they move my position to July 09? Any advice is greatly appreciated…

For all possible HPSP candidates, learn from my experience: DON"T JOIN!!!!

How many undersea slots were you offered? Was this an assigned slot presented to you on a list without any information that this job specifically would require you to extend beyond your EAOS? The Navy had plenty of opportunities to fully and fairly inform you of any additional service obligation in taking your billet before they cut you those orders, and if they did not do exactly that, then they have acted deceptively. You have a reasonable case for making the Navy honor its side of the HPSP agreement: you get out when you are done with your HPSP commitment, not six months later because the sub base where your command was located happened to be in Hawaii.

You need to press your case now and get the orders you are in modified to conform to your EAOS date. And the Navy shouldn't be able to squeeze more time from you than they were entitled to have under your contract.

I empathize with you. This wasn't part of the deal you were made, and you shouldn't be made to extend. And I completely agree with your last post. The sad but true fact is that the U.S. Navy behaves as disgracefully and dishonorably as many of the most disreputable kinds of private businesses whenever it seems to suit them.