Question about releasing MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabbers22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all--
Just a question...I am taking the MCAT here in August, and have heard that you can keep your scores from being released to med schools. Does that mean that if you choose this option, and take the MCAT again, and release those scores, that med schools will never see the first set?
I thought that even if you held the scores, whenever you apply, med schools will see all of them.
Any thoughts?
thanks--gabbers22

Members don't see this ad.

Its my understanding that if you were to not do as well as you like on this next MCAT and then take it again next spring and do much better, when you apply to med school next summer your application would not be considered complete until you release ALL your MCAT scores. In other words you can keep schools from knowing your scores only until you decide to apply. I'pretty sure about this.

I'm not sure if this is you situation but if i were you I would just release the scores from the August MCAT and then if you don't do as well as you like just take it again next spring. The first time I took the MCAT I bombed it (21) and then I studied my butt off and got a 33. All 17 of the med schools I applied to this year have told me that they either consider only the highest scores and/or the most recent scores so it appears as though my prior pathetic performance (I don't mean to offend anyone who got a similar score) might have never taken place.

THanks Georgey...that's hat I thought too...but I have been reading a few posts and hearing a few people who seemed to be saying the opposite...how nice it would be if we didn't have to release the bad ones!
thanks--
--gabbers22