Question about Research & Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Global Warming

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does research specifically limit me to work in a lab?

Does volunteer work specificaly limit me to work in a hospital?

I love the idea of volunteering, especially helping out homeless shelters and other things like that. I would think that Med-Schools are looking for students that truly want to help, over a student that volunteers for the sake of strengthing their application.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Does research specifically limit me to work in a lab?
No

Does volunteer work specificaly limit me to work in a hospital?
No

I love the idea of volunteering, especially helping out homeless shelters and other things like that. I would think that Med-Schools are looking for students that truly want to help, over a student that volunteers for the sake of strengthing their application. Thanks in advance!

Correct! Volunteer where your passions take you. Not only will you get more from the experience, but so will the organization.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im not too sure at the moment. What other possibilities are out there??

Im not too sure at the moment. What other possibilities are out there??

research is pretty much restricted to labs. There is probably biology/archeology/geology/etc. field studies, but these things are really exclusive to professional researchers (professors, etc.) or graduate students.

I'm doing cognitive psych research right now...not a stereotypical "lab". No pipettes, cuvettes, or autoclave included. But its still cool stuff.

I am completing a research project on holocaust history and public memory- based on my experiences in 3 countries in Europe last year. Totally didn't spend a single hour in a lab...but it was something I loved and I did get to present in Washington DC at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.

I am interviewing for a summer research internship today so I might be in a lab all summer but it is in Peds research which is what I want to do long term anyways.

I think research germane to some sort of public health is probably the only limitation. I mean, doing research on a historical figure would not be the type of research that med schools would qualify as research experience.

With volunteering, this can be anything, not just medical. If you can say that at the end of the day it was community service and it was also self-fulfilling it is a good volunteer experience. But do not also forget to do something in the hospital as it will show your interest in being in medicine and also wanting to help people.

I think research germane to some sort of public health is probably the only limitation. I mean, doing research on a historical figure would not be the type of research that med schools would qualify as research experience.

Actually the ones I have talked to have said any kind of research counts. They are interested in the process that you took to come up with a hypothesis and gather data to test it, nothing more than that.

Public health research is an interesting option if you are at a university that has a nearby school of public health. Volunteering does not have to be hospital-related and is used more to demonstrate that you are able to donate your time to others. However, you should have *some* kind of clinical experience (working with patients) - whether that's through volunteering, shadowing, or working.