1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

question about research

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by merona, Nov 3, 2002.

1. merona

merona New Member

Hey everyone...I'm kind of new here and while reading some of the threads. I saw a couple of people mention that research and publications are very important when med schools are considering you. This might sound like a stupid question but...when you guys say research, do you mean helping a professor/grad student out w/ their research or do you mean doing a research of your own...b/c I'm only a sophmore and I haven't even really started my major courses. Please help! Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Merona,

Very few undergrads do completely independent research. Working with a professor or grad student will lead to some independence however. You may be in charge of a small part of a larger project or paper, but these are the experiences that will make you stand out to the MD-PhD committee; particularly, if your efforts lead to second-authored or even first-authored publications.

4. merona

merona New Member

Ophtho_MudPhud....Thanks!!! That puts my mind somewhat at ease.

5. merona

merona New Member

Ophtho_MudPhud....Thanks!!! That puts my mind somewhat at ease.