question about research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merona

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone...I'm kind of new here and while reading some of the threads. I saw a couple of people mention that research and publications are very important when med schools are considering you. This might sound like a stupid question but...when you guys say research, do you mean helping a professor/grad student out w/ their research or do you mean doing a research of your own...b/c I'm only a sophmore and I haven't even really started my major courses. Please help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by merona
Hey everyone...I'm kind of new here and while reading some of the threads. I saw a couple of people mention that research and publications are very important when med schools are considering you. This might sound like a stupid question but...when you guys say research, do you mean helping a professor/grad student out w/ their research or do you mean doing a research of your own...b/c I'm only a sophmore and I haven't even really started my major courses. Please help! Thanks!

Merona,

Very few undergrads do completely independent research. Working with a professor or grad student will lead to some independence however. You may be in charge of a small part of a larger project or paper, but these are the experiences that will make you stand out to the MD-PhD committee; particularly, if your efforts lead to second-authored or even first-authored publications.

Ophtho_MudPhud....Thanks!!! That puts my mind somewhat at ease.

Ophtho_MudPhud....Thanks!!! That puts my mind somewhat at ease.