question about residency placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizparker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate some help with this question. Thanks!

How much does your undergrad GPA count for when applying to residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Residency programs don't receive your undergrad GPA when you apply. As far as what they find out about your undergrad activities, you will be able to list awards and honors that you had, or significant activities that you did during undergrad as well as where you went to college and your major, but that's about it. The time period that really counts are what and how you did during med school.

Oh yeah -- they don't know your MCAT scores either. :)

Actually, the SF Match (Optho, ENT, Neuro, Neurosurg) requires your college transcript, which probably has your GPA on it. It means nothing though. Residency programs couldn't care less.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some residency programs, especially those in more competitive fields, DO care (or at least ask for the transcripts). When I applied for Plastics programs (not through the SF match) several programs asked for undergrad transcripts and MCAT scores.

Rest assured, most do not. :D

During several neurology interviews (SF Match) my interviewers have been very interested in my undergraduate grades which are included in the SF Match application. Questions asked include: why I took a philosophy class pass/fail, why I only took one year of a foreign language course, why I got a B in a biochem. So, it does matter to some extent.

Think Rice-A-Roni