Question about residency status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAB0430

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really know how residency status works? What if my family owns a vacation home in a different state? Can I claim that as my state of residency? Do I have to have my name on a bill etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really know how residency status works? What if my family owns a vacation home in a different state? Can I claim that as my state of residency? Do I have to have my name on a bill etc?

Only if you're a politician... o_O

On a more serious note, each state has it's own rules. You'll need to research which ones might apply to you --

If your parents claim you on their taxes, I'd consider their state to be your state of residence even if you're away at school. If they don't claim you, I'd go with whatever your driver's license is from our where you're registered to vote. I wouldn't count a vacation home because you can't day that was ever your primary residence for any meaningful amount of time.

Once you narrow down the list of possible states, check their state-by-state rules to see which one can claim you.