misterwiggles

2+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Would anyone care to shed light on whether they memorized spirometry terms and what each one means? It seems like TPR exams expect you to know how to get certain values from other ones (something that can't simply be deduced from the passage). Thanks!

bearintraining

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2011
OH
Status
Medical Student, Post Doc
Definitely not.

bearintraining

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2011
OH
Status
Medical Student, Post Doc
You should know the lung volumes (tidal volume, residual volume, etc.) but I seriously doubt you'll need to know spirometry measurements.
Do you know if this is indicated in the AAMC topics? Just a bit surprised to hear this because EK didn't have any of that in their materials, and I haven't seen it on any of the exams myself.

Jun 19, 2015
Somewhere in Cali...
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you know if this is indicated in the AAMC topics? Just a bit surprised to hear this because EK didn't have any of that in their materials, and I haven't seen it on any of the exams myself.
Hmm I guess the outline doesn't specifically state it. It *may* fall under BB: concept 3B: respiratory system: structure of lungs OR mechanism of breathing. Kaplan included it in their bio review book which is why I thought it needed to be known. Kaplan has been known to cover unnecessary topics though.

Reactions: bearintraining
OP
misterwiggles

misterwiggles

2+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Then why would TPR put it as a passage in one of their FL's and ask you to give certain values by solving for them? (Again, something which can't simply be deduced from the passage)

Aug 10, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
From personal MCAT experience, if you see something that is beyond what you think you should know, they probably told you how to do it somewhere in the passage.

Reactions: EverStriving

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
From personal MCAT experience, if you see something that is beyond what you think you should know, they probably told you how to do it somewhere in the passage.
This is the key. It's not beyond the MCAT at all to throw overly complex things(and I would disagree this is overly advanced stuff reserved for Step 1). What they will do in these situations is provide alot of context and background information to present the opportunity for you to make the key connections you need to make to solve the problem.