Nov 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I am a sophomore at a private institution. I am planning on staying an extra year as an undergraduate.

The reason I am planning on staying is because my gen chem and gen bio courses did not go so well. I received a C and then a C- in gen bio. I received a C+ and then a C in gen chem.

I did not like the professors who taught these courses. However, my favorite chem professor is going to be teaching gen chem next semester and I know that I could do better in his class, in order to receive a better grade. My contemplation is rather I should retake it or not. I want the better grade because it will look better, however, I know that some MD schools do not like when students retake courses.

Has anyone been in this situation before? Do any of you have advice on this?

Thank you,
Nicholle

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Retake if you need to do so to understand the material to do well on the MCAT, to raise your GPA, or to reverse the bad impression it leaves to have below a C in the prerequisites. Adcomms, in general, will not look down on you for retaking Cs. The only one you should retake is the second semester of Bio, IMO. You could also just move on and get high grades in OChem and upper-level Bio classes, as those would redeem the previous subpar grades.

Nov 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
That makes sense. I just didn't know because on medical school websites they say that they would rather see good grades from the start and look down on retaking courses.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Most schools look positively on an upward grade trend. Obviously perfection from the beginning is desirable (especially at top ranked schools), but everyone doesn't achive that. It's common for students to have a poor first year while figuring out how to survive a new academic environemnt. Just don't get any more low grades.