Question about reviewing application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I just wanted to make clear about how ADCOMS and AACOMAS review our applicantions.
In order to get an interview from any med school, do they (ADCOMS and AACOMAS) look only our numbers (MCAT and GPA) to select students for interview or do they also review other stuff such as recommendation and excracurriculars just to get an interview?
Can a person who has very little experience (for example, only 3 months of volunteer) and decent numbers(GPA 3.6 and MCAT 30) get an interview?
or a person who has outstanding experience( 3years of clinical experience and 2 years of research..) but has low numbers (GPA 3.0 and MCAT 25) can never get an interview because the committee first look at only his/her numbers?
Any response will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who got a 22 MCAT and 2.9 GPA who interviewed at LECOM two weeks ago. Her clinical experience and extracurriculars were pretty average, and I know that she had not arranged for her letters to be sent yet. Maybe her personal statement was something else, who knows, but she did manage to get her foot in the door without anything outstanding, so some schools do give people a chance.