Question about school counseling while collaborating with a clinical mental health counselor...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EStieg

Reaction score
It’s great to be here in such good company! I’ve recently started a graduate program in school counseling at USC, and am doing research for my first project. Part of my project entails highlighting how my scope of practice as a counselor could impact my counseling ability to provide social-emotional services while working collaboratively with a clinical mental health counselor. I’ve been doing a lot of searching on Google, ASCA, ACA and also the California Assoc of School Counselors website, but not finding anything definitive.

I’m not looking for a anyone to just give me an answer, but if anyone has a suggestion for where I can find some information, previous discussions, or recommendations, I would greatly appreciate the help!

Members don't see this ad.

"highlighting how my scope of practice as a counselor could impact my counseling ability to provide social-emotional services while working collaboratively with a clinical mental health counselor"

What? I'm confused. I mean, unless I am misunderstanding the topic/point of the project, it doesn't sound like you're going to find anything definitive beyond how your scope of practice is outlined (e.g., by ACA) and the scope that your own personal training will allow, and then applying that to some sort of hypothetical scenario where you are working with a clinical MHC (in what capacity and doing what kind of work?) Your project sounds like a hypothetical situation where you have to look at ethical standards and define your scope of practice for yourself given x, y, and z variables of a certain type of situation.