Question about Sci LOR Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

At schools that want 2 science faculty letters is it adverse to have 1 from a sci faculty that taught you and 1 from a research advisor that technically taught you since you recieved honors research credit? Or will they see this as avoiding their recommendations. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Haybrant said:
oh and the research advisor is an MD; is that regarded as science?

Research = Science

You'll be just fine. I have a similar compliment of letters and everyone seems okay with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mitro said:
Research = Science

You'll be just fine. I have a similar compliment of letters and everyone seems okay with it.

Thanks for the info; one of my sci profs has not gotten me my rec even tho i asked back in august and ive emailed and gone to see her and all. Anyone else have input on this?
What about the schools that say from a sci prof at your or a 4 year undergrad institution (i.e ucsd). My research LOR is from my PI at ucsf but i went to cal. I dunno, im just worried since they seem so specific.

hey i am actually in a similiar situation, although my research advisor is from my undergraduate institution. anyway, i dont think it is the best thing...i would rather have 2 actual professors write the recs, but I didn't feel my rec would have been as strong that way. i think it will be fine, but who knows....lets just hope for the best

What if you took a class with a prof in a psych department that taught a class like "Adcanced Seminar in Neuroscience." A class like this at my school is in the cog sci or psych dept....can I use this prof as a rec?

yah, i think im comming to the conclusion that at some schools it matters more than others; i.e at harvard they say two LOR's from sci prof's and one from each research advisor. That seems like it discludes the research prof from one of the sci; i really f*cked up by not getting LOR's on time since Im a sci major and did really well in my classes. One of my bitch-ass prof's really f'ed me over too; It's taking every ounce of patience to not let her have it. 2 of my 3 are strong but sometime that may not be good enough...