Question about science gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emole123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying this summer and had a question about the science GPA. Is that just your general chemistry, bio, and physics classes? I am an exercise physiology major so I have taken classes such as gross anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, etc....will AMCAS use those in my science GPA calculations? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I will be applying this summer and had a question about the science GPA. Is that just your general chemistry, bio, and physics classes? I am an exercise physiology major so I have taken classes such as gross anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, etc....will AMCAS use those in my science GPA calculations? Thanks in advance
amcas will use bio, chem, physics, and math. however, physics applied in a class such as engineering is not considered physics. Are your physiology classes under bio322 or something like that?

BCPM is the science gpa= biology, chemistry, physics, math

Gross anatomy, physio would fit under bio probably (what are they listed as at your school?) Kinesiology i believe also incorporates physics and bio together or am i mistake? I wouldnt see why they wouldnt count as part of your science GPA, however, it would be best if you consulted your premed committee, and if no one has a straight answer, the AAMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
They vary... my physiology class is listed as PSIO 241, gross anatomy was listed as ATTR 121 (athletic training), and kinesiology was listed as EXPH 364...thats why I wasnt sure if AMCAS would consider them science classes. I expect to have an overal gpa near 3.45 after this semester...but my science would be lower due to two C's in my two general chem classes. I have all As in those classes I listed so it would help my science out a lot if they included them

Yea because your classes may have been athletically based, Im not entirely sure. Its probably a better bet to ask your premed committee, or ask your department heads for your major.

ok thanks..ill have to ask around and see what i can find out.
the anatomy and physiology class were not based on athletics at all, so i am hoping they will be included. if i contact AMCAS directly will they be able to give me an answer or will they just tell me it varies and that I will just have to wait and see

in that case yes, A&P should count for BCPM (i took physio), kinesiology is what will probably need clarification.

ok thanks..ill have to ask around and see what i can find out.
the anatomy and physiology class were not based on athletics at all, so i am hoping they will be included. if i contact AMCAS directly will they be able to give me an answer or will they just tell me it varies and that I will just have to wait and see

You can ask them if you want. In fact, it'll probably make you feel better. I think they'll just ask if you think those classes in question were primarily Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Math. If so, then classify them under the appropriate BCPM category. I pretty much did that and AAMC didn't question it. Basically, it doesn't matter which department sponsors the class, it's the content; if it's primarily BCPM, then it should be included as such.