• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

emole123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Bradenton, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I will be applying this summer and had a question about the science GPA. Is that just your general chemistry, bio, and physics classes? I am an exercise physiology major so I have taken classes such as gross anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, etc....will AMCAS use those in my science GPA calculations? Thanks in advance

Funky

This space is for sale
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I will be applying this summer and had a question about the science GPA. Is that just your general chemistry, bio, and physics classes? I am an exercise physiology major so I have taken classes such as gross anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, etc....will AMCAS use those in my science GPA calculations? Thanks in advance
amcas will use bio, chem, physics, and math. however, physics applied in a class such as engineering is not considered physics. Are your physiology classes under bio322 or something like that?

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
BCPM is the science gpa= biology, chemistry, physics, math

Gross anatomy, physio would fit under bio probably (what are they listed as at your school?) Kinesiology i believe also incorporates physics and bio together or am i mistake? I wouldnt see why they wouldnt count as part of your science GPA, however, it would be best if you consulted your premed committee, and if no one has a straight answer, the AAMC.

About the Ads

emole123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Bradenton, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
They vary... my physiology class is listed as PSIO 241, gross anatomy was listed as ATTR 121 (athletic training), and kinesiology was listed as EXPH 364...thats why I wasnt sure if AMCAS would consider them science classes. I expect to have an overal gpa near 3.45 after this semester...but my science would be lower due to two C's in my two general chem classes. I have all As in those classes I listed so it would help my science out a lot if they included them

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Yea because your classes may have been athletically based, Im not entirely sure. Its probably a better bet to ask your premed committee, or ask your department heads for your major.

emole123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Bradenton, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
ok thanks..ill have to ask around and see what i can find out.
the anatomy and physiology class were not based on athletics at all, so i am hoping they will be included. if i contact AMCAS directly will they be able to give me an answer or will they just tell me it varies and that I will just have to wait and see

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
in that case yes, A&P should count for BCPM (i took physio), kinesiology is what will probably need clarification.

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
ok thanks..ill have to ask around and see what i can find out.
the anatomy and physiology class were not based on athletics at all, so i am hoping they will be included. if i contact AMCAS directly will they be able to give me an answer or will they just tell me it varies and that I will just have to wait and see

You can ask them if you want. In fact, it'll probably make you feel better. I think they'll just ask if you think those classes in question were primarily Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Math. If so, then classify them under the appropriate BCPM category. I pretty much did that and AAMC didn't question it. Basically, it doesn't matter which department sponsors the class, it's the content; if it's primarily BCPM, then it should be included as such.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.