Question about "science" GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question about the Chem,Physics, Bio, Math GPA.

Im a chemical and biomolecular engineering major so basically all my classes are science/math based.

When they find my science GPA will they only use the pre-med required sciences or will they count all my engineering classes and advanced chemistry courses also?

Im hoping they only count the prereqs b/c it doesnt seem fair that my science GPA including quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, physical chemistry,multivariable calculus,fluid dynamics etc. would get compared to people who only took the bare min intro science classes.

Also my statistics class is listed under the civil engineering department (CEE 304) so will I just need to make a note somewhere on application so they know that it was a math class?

Members don't see this ad.

boo, I guess this is what i get for not knowing what I wanted to do with my life at age 17 :rolleyes:

Im hoping they only count the prereqs b/c it doesnt seem fair that my science GPA including quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, physical chemistry,multivariable calculus,fluid dynamics etc. would get compared to people who only took the bare min intro science classes.

You chose the major so you have to live with all of your science classes being counted into your science GPA, but I don't think it will matter alot unless you really screwed up in those classes.
a) Admissions people will see what classes you took and therefore will know that you had a heavy load compared to other people who might only have taken intro bio/chem/physics.
b) at least you took some interesting classes!

Members don't see this ad :)
on this same topic of science gpas.....I am a bio maj/chem min and i am also working on a minor in computer science. Does my CS classes actually average in w/ my science gpa? One of my advisors told me they would? I really dont know which category it would fall under (BCPM?) Which it would actually raise my science gpa since i have All A's in my CS classes and a C and a few b's in my reg science classes. But, i would rather them stay out because it might look like i am just trying to bump up my science gpa w/ non-science courses.

b) at least you took some interesting classes!

The qualitative stuff is pretty cool, but they math you have to do just kills it for me. I almost cried when I had to solve a second order partial differential equation on my chem midterm that was harder than anything I saw in differential equations class. (The professor's solution for that problem was two pages long, I gave up after the first page)

Im a chemical and biomolecular engineering major so basically all my classes are science/math based.

When they find my science GPA will they only use the pre-med required sciences or will they count all my engineering classes and advanced chemistry courses also?

Also my statistics class is listed under the civil engineering department (CEE 304) so will I just need to make a note somewhere on application so they know that it was a math class?

amcas counts engineering separately from bcmp. check it out from page 52 on.
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/amcas2009instructionmanual072808.pdf

engineering will not be counted towards your science GPA.

on this same topic of science gpas.....I am a bio maj/chem min and i am also working on a minor in computer science. Does my CS classes actually average in w/ my science gpa? One of my advisors told me they would? I really dont know which category it would fall under (BCPM?) Which it would actually raise my science gpa since i have All A's in my CS classes and a C and a few b's in my reg science classes. But, i would rather them stay out because it might look like i am just trying to bump up my science gpa w/ non-science courses.

computer science will also not be counted either. That reasoning doesnt really make any sense....if its counted for your science GPA, then its obviously a science class.

boo, I guess this is what i get for not knowing what I wanted to do with my life at age 17 :rolleyes:

Whatever the case maybe, you should avoid making any excuses about maturity. It is a two-lane high way, and it will be a liability if you mention you weren't up to the task then but you are now, given you haven't experienced the first hand challenges of medicine. On your AMCAS the age at which you took the classes will also be evident, but chances are they will be less sympathetic if you excuse your earlier shortcomings because of it.

All science classes from biology, physics, chemistry, and mathematics departments will automatically be considered apart of your BCPM. Your engineering courses will be up to you. If your statistics course title is basically a math class and it is properly titled (Statistics for Civil Engineers), then you will have no problem counting it towards your BCPM.

Whatever the case maybe, you should avoid making any excuses about maturity. It is a two-lane high way, and it will be a liability if you mention you weren't up to the task then but you are now, given you haven't experienced the first hand challenges of medicine. On your AMCAS the age at which you took the classes will also be evident, but chances are they will be less sympathetic if you excuse your earlier shortcomings because of it.

All science classes from biology, physics, chemistry, and mathematics departments will automatically be considered apart of your BCPM. Your engineering courses will be up to you. If your statistics course title is basically a math class and it is properly titled (Statistics for Civil Engineers), then you will have no problem counting it towards your BCPM.

I didnt mean i wasnt mature at 17, i just didnt know that i wanted to be a doctor so i chose engineering school b/c i enjoy math/science.