1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Question about shadowing

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Japika, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Japika

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I searched a lot, and followed all the guides but I have having a bit of trouble securing a shadowing seat. I did find one cardiologist whose officer staff said just show up at the hospital and ask for him to shadow, because thats the time.

But beyond that, I am having trouble with it, and was wondering what do you suggest I do to get some experience? I recently transfered to this university, and I haven't seen a physician, in like 6 years, so I don't know any.

I tried calling them, telling them where I am from, and what I was looking to do, but I haven't really had any luck.

What specialty should I look for? How should I go about securing a seat?

Should I switch from calling, to showing up, and asking the front desk staff if their physician allows it... with the hope that they will have the physician come talk to me?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. shaggybill

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You won't be able to just show up and shadow at the hospital due to HIPPA policies that hospitals strictly enforce. You will probably have to go through volunteer training first, even if the physician does give you permission to shadow him.

4. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I called my local MD school and they put me in touch with some docs.

Give something like that a try.

5. Artimacia

Artimacia can do stuff real good
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    What do you do if you're no where near a medical school? (the closest one to me is 2-3 hours away)

6. mtnman12

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I say you're exactly right with the idea of just calling the front desk and asking to shadow. I have doing this lately and almost every doc I've talked to is willing to do it. BUT...the most important thing is to find someone halfway nice. Its good if you can talk to somebody you know- maybe a nurse, secretary, tech...anyone who can say "oh you have to shadow him/her!" These have been my best experiences. I was like you though and didn't have a lot of experience, but I just realized you have to start making calls and doing it and it starts to fall into place.

And I got waitlisted for not having enough shadow experience, so its a good thing to do!

7. mtnman12

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    or like you said, showing up in your case may work better... I usually have to call 4-5 times to set it all up, but it will work out

8. cdcd67

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
  9. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You can always try this AOA mentor program. Just saerch by city and state (leave all other categories blank) and all of the doctors available will pop up. From there you can pick which specialty you wanna shadow. Good luck!

10. EpiPEN

EpiPEN Aegis of Immortality
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd start with volunteering in the hospital first, then ask for a shadow. Reason is three fold.

One, you get close to the doctors while you are volunteering besides them. This will make it much easier for them to let you shadow them. Afterall, very few doctors (or people in general) like the idea of having some stranger follow them all day long looking over their shoulder. Build the relationship first, it will make getting that spot much easier.

Two, you will have a better idea of which doctor you want to shadow. Not all doctors are great to shadow. Some doctors might be a completely waste of your time and won't show you much at all. Volunteering first allow you to observe the doctors in their native environment before deciding which doctor inspires you to shadow.

Three, you won't look look so clueless when you shadow. You would already have a good working knowledge of how the doctor kind of works in that hospital. Thus, when you observe him more closely in shadowing, you will pick up on more important and valuable information instead of standing there wondering logistical questions (though they may be good things to observe at times too I suppose)

11. cdcd67

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hmmm...you make some very good points. I have shadowed doctors before and many times was disappointed. However, did you still volunteer (because you did get signed in as a volunteer) ? In the hospitals near me, the volunteer department doesn't allow shadowing. My friend told me about one that is near her that allowed it. That's how I was able to shadow. The site that I mentioned above, I found later on. :)

12. EpiPEN

EpiPEN Aegis of Immortality
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So in my hospital, there was a special shadowing program for volunteers if we wanted. But what I learned is that if a doctor says yes, ain't no one going to say no to him. When I volunteered on the OR recovery room I used to get pulled into surgeries at the end of the night essentially because the nurses and doctors liked me and wanted me to see some pretty cool stuff. (With the patient consent of course)

but yeah that's a good point, prolly should ask if the hospital has some shadowing program first to increases your chances. And even if it doesn't work out, you got hospital volunteering experience on your application now. It's a win win!