Question about shadowing...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurkSurg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My aunt's husband is a surgeon in Europe (in my hometown)... In the month of May I don't have school so I was planning to shadow him somewhere around ~100 hrs...

1) Is it ok to shadow someone that is not in the U.S ??? (I might ask him for a recommendation and I don't think translating to English would be a problem for him)

2) If its ok and I list his name, number, address etc. on amcas application, would adcoms be able to get in touch with him since he's not in the country?

and finally

3) Would interviewers turn down on me and ask me why I shadowed someone in my hometown rather than in the U.S.?

I really need good advice since i have to make my decision soon

any answers are appreciated :)

1) Of course it is...might make for a nice comparison to the US system, too. You will be able to experience a different system...make sure you ask your doctor friend how he thinks about the medical system in his/her country.

2) No one contacted any of the people I listed. But, even if they want to, it is their problem as long as you provide the right information

3) I think you mean "look down" on you. And no, I don't think they would...if anything this experience will make you stand out.

Go for it! It will be an excellent opportunity.

Btw. where are you going?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think getting a LOR from your uncle would be a good idea -- it just doesn't seem sincere because you haven't really proven yourself to him, he would write a beaming LOR regardless of your merit.

I don't think getting a LOR from your uncle would be a good idea -- it just doesn't seem sincere because you haven't really proven yourself to him, he would write a beaming LOR regardless of your merit.

good point...I forgot that this is your uncle. I still think international medicine experience will be a good for your application...most of all, it will be fun!

It's probably not the greatest idea to ask for a LOR from a relative, because someone in the interview process might ask you. After all, it'd be an "international" experience if you're applying to a US school if you shadowed somewhere in Europe.

It'd be a good experience nonetheless. You can see if there are similarities or differences between the two hospital systems.

Would it be possible if your uncle could find you another doctor (colleague of his) to shadow? This way it is not a family member and you can possibly get a LOR.