Question About Southern Illinois Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm finishing up my first year of undergraduate in a school in WI (UW-Oshkosh), but next year I will be attending SIU-Edwardsville. I'm transfering because of the lack of a decent pre-med program and pre-med advisor at UWO. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the SIU medical school in Springfield. They are different campuses but they are affiliated. I was also wondering if it will increase my odds of acceptance to SIU medical school by attendeing SIU-Edwardsville. Any info will help.

------------------
Ryan P. Ames

Members don't see this ad.

Ryan,

SIU is a state med school and as such only takes in state students. Unless the move will establish residency, there is not a lot of hope for you to get in there.

I find your decision to move to SIUE for undergrad a little interesting. As a local (grew up only 15 miles from the school)I never got the impression SIUE was that good of a school. My brother graduated from there with a nursing degree and has done well, but the rest of their undergrad program isn't that great, IMO. Their counter part SIU Carbondale, has a better program, especially in communications. What is your major?

As for how the med school will view you coming from there, that's a good question. I could be wrong, but I thought the first two years of med school were spent at Carbondale and the rotation years in Springfield. Either way though, if you don't establish residency, you are just out of luck.

Hope that helped.

mj

mj,
Thank you for the insite. My major is Biology and minor in chemistry, like most pre meds. My current college isn't doing any thing that impresses me so I started to look for other schools. SIUE came up in my search so I called them up and spoke to the pre med advisor. She sounded pretty knowlegable about the whole med thing and spoke well about their program, as if she would speak bad right, so I applied. I figured it couldn't get any worse then what my current school has. Should I apply to SIUC? I just don't know what to do at this point. It is getting pretty late to apply for fall but if SIUE isn't very good I don't want to go there either. I have courses set at my current school just incase somthing like this happened and didn't end up going to SIUE. Do you think I should just stay at my current school and get advise from medical schools directly and not ask my advisors here. I know you probably can't answer some of these questions but any advise would help. Thanks for the reply.

------------------
Ryan P. Ames

[This message has been edited by rpames (edited 05-08-2000).]

Ryan,

I talked to a friend of mine who is in student affairs there. I'll e-mail you with what I know.

mj