question about specialty training in dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc32

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently at the web site of an east coast dental school and was looking at how students are trained in orthodontics and the other dental specialties. Am I correct that these specialties are not taught in the form of a "residency" the way an MD would train in OB-GYN, for example? I was shocked to see that dental specialties are taught mostly didactically and that not only is there not a salary, but a huge tuition cost.

Can anyone tell me if this is the norm. What then is a dental "residency"? All this has me a little dismayed.

Thanks, Margaret

Members don't see this ad.

I think most of the dental residency programs offer graduates an opportunity to increase their general practice diagnostic and restorative skills in a hospital environment while receiving a moderate salary. Could be a wave of the future. I can forsee completion of a residency becomming a prerequisite for licensure to engage in private practice. That would also serve a social function of providing low cost services to low income populations as their numbers have increased while the number of dental school graduates has decreased.

[This message has been edited by groundhog (edited 11-29-2000).]