question about specific secondary prompt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r4y

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
Please choose the single answer that best describes your career goals:
Private Practice
Academic Medicine
Public Health
Healthcare Administration
Health Policy
Other
Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (2000 char)

as of now, i am most interested in working in the hospital (either emergency medicine or ICU). what should i mark as my answer above? i am under the impression that working in the hospital is public health, is that correct?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that working for a hospital/medical group would be considered "Private Practice". "Public Health" refers to working within the community on matters of public health education (similar to what an MPH would do except with an MD).

Oh goodness, this could very well be my favorite secondary prompt ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is Stanford's right?

I would say academic medicine or private practice for either of those.

Do you want to work with medical students, residents, and possibly be involved in research? If so, put academic medicine.

Do you just want to see patients and not have to deal with medical students, residents, and administrative work (or at least do significantly less)? Then private practice.

This is Stanford's right?

I would say academic medicine or private practice for either of those.

Do you want to work with medical students, residents, and possibly be involved in research? If so, put academic medicine.

Do you just want to see patients and not have to deal with medical students, residents, and administrative work (or at least do significantly less)? Then private practice.

Don't feel that you will necessarily not be able to do one without the other. There are many voluntary faculty who come from private practices in the community that are willing to teach residents. They also have admitting privileges in hospitals, etc etc. I would say that private docs see a few differences -- ie more autonomy over their practice and schedule and less focus on research. I only know one private physician who is affiliated with a university and runs a lab for fun. He's close to retirement though .

Reactions: 1 user
they ask these questions to see how much you "know" what you are getting into, that you are aware of different practice environments and know something about what goes on, and can talk intelligently about where you see yourself

you need to have at least given thought to doing this for 40+ years

it's not just about getting an MD

smh how many of my matriculated classmates had never heard of "boards" or "licensing exams" or even residency, really. Blew my mind.

Reactions: 1 users