Question about state residency for med school apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iceberg34

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, but I was having a hard time finding an answer that pertains to my specific situation. I am trying to determine what my state of residency will be when I apply to medical school in the upcoming (2016-2017) cycle. I was born and raised in Alaska and currently maintain my permanent residency there while attending college out of state (in Massachusetts). I will be graduating in May and spending my gap year participating in an AmeriCorps program in New York. Which state would I be considered a resident of for the purposes of my med school applications when I apply this June? If it makes a difference, I will be spending this summer living in Alaska at my parent's home before moving to New York, and at the time that I complete my applications I will likely not know the address of the place where I'll be living in New York come September.

Members don't see this ad.

For me, I was told that my state of residency was based on my tax information. I lived in MA for >5 years but since my mother was still claiming me as a dependent on her CT taxes I was considered a CT resident.

Hope this helps!

Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, but I was having a hard time finding an answer that pertains to my specific situation. I am trying to determine what my state of residency will be when I apply to medical school in the upcoming (2016-2017) cycle. I was born and raised in Alaska and currently maintain my permanent residency there while attending college out of state (in Massachusetts). I will be graduating in May and spending my gap year participating in an AmeriCorps program in New York. Which state would I be considered a resident of for the purposes of my med school applications when I apply this June? If it makes a difference, I will be spending this summer living in Alaska at my parent's home before moving to New York, and at the time that I complete my applications I will likely not know the address of the place where I'll be living in New York come September.
Most likely Alaska. You'll need to check out the state's sites though to make sure.

Reactions: 1 user
You are most likely considered an Alaska resident. Your state of residency depends on where you pay resident taxes, are registered to vote, and where your car's license plate is registered (if you have one). If you want to go to UW (because you are in the WWAMI region) make sure to file as a non-resident in Massachusetts (if you have a job there) and as a non-resident in New York next year when you do your taxes.

I was in the exact same situation as you last year (from one of the WWAMI states and went to school in Oregon). Even though I had lived in Oregon for my undergrad and gap year, I was still considered a resident of my home state because I filed as a non-resident in Oregon, and I'm still registered to vote in my home state (and my car is registered there as well). Alaska will probably want the same information from you to confirm that you are an Alaska resident. Here is a link for your WWMAI eligibility site and form that you will have to fill out if you want to be considered an Alaska resident: http://www.uaa.alaska.edu/wwami/apply/akwwamieligibility.cfm

Of course what I said above may not be important if you aren't considering UW, but I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions about being a WWAMI region applicant!