Question about state residency!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wuhladubdub

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this question has been asked to death, but I personally couldn't find a thread that answered exactly what I was looking for.

If I recently graduated from a Cali undergraduate school, but everything else ties me back to my home state, am I still considered a resident of my home state?

Some facts about me:
- My family has always lived in my home state.
- I am still a dependent (registered underneath my parents)
- I paid out of state tuition all four years
- I have a driver's license in my home state
- My permanent address is in my home state**
- I've never voted in Cali
- I've never paid taxes in Cali
- I've never had a job in Cali (was not employed while a student).

But I have lived in California every year I have been a student, address and all.

Thank you! I just want to make absolute sure. I tried looking online at requirements, but it's pretty complicated legal stuff that I couldn't quite sift through to get a satisfactory answer.

**If permanent address is what I think it is

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah you are a resident of your home state. Your situation is similar to CA applicants who went to undergrad out of state. Because your permanent resident address is in your home state and you were considered OOS for your undergrad, your residency is your home state and not CA.

@gyngyn could you kindly verify/clarify this?

I believe you are still considered a resident of the other state. That's how it was for me when I attended school (and even voted) out of state.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe you are still considered a resident of the other state. That's how it was for me when I attended school (and even voted) out of state.

Thanks for the reply! You mean, despite the fact that you went to an out of state school and lived in that state, you were considered in-state for your home state?

Do different states have different rules?

Thanks for the reply! You mean, despite the fact that you went to an out of state school and lived in that state, you were considered in-state for your home state?

Do different states have different rules?

1. Yes

2. Probably, but I'm not 100% sure

Yeah you are a resident of your home state. Your situation is similar to CA applicants who went to undergrad out of state. Because your permanent resident address is in your home state and you were considered OOS for your undergrad, your residency is your home state and not CA.

Thank you for your reply!

I guess I'm also kind of confused what "permanent resident address" even means.
I mean, I have a bank account registered to my sister's house in Alabama, some mail (probably) going to my old address in Cali, and a lot of mail going to my parent's place in my home state. What exactly establishes "permanent resident address?"

Thank you for your reply!

I guess I'm also kind of confused what "permanent resident address" even means.
I mean, I have a bank account registered to my sister's house in Alabama, some mail (probably) going to my old address in Cali, and a lot of mail going to my parent's place in my home state. What exactly establishes "permanent resident address?"

You said you were considered a dependent so your permanent address is that of your parents

Yes, OP is a permanent resident of his home state, not CA.
There are states/schools that permit conversion to IS tuition under some circumstances and after a specified time period.

There are states/schools that permit conversion to IS tuition under some circumstances and after a specified time period.

Yeah, Ohio (at least when I was in school) would let you switch after one year of being a student there. NC on the other hand put a lot of hoops to jump through even for those previously residing in the state.

So for my AMCAS (CA permanent resident) if I went to school in Missouri could I get state residency in Missouri and put my Missouri address as my AMCAS one? I feel like I would have an easier time getting into Missouri schools as a resident. I have worked in Missouri through work study through my school and private tutoring. Does this work? Or will I have to put CA on my AMCAS?

So for my AMCAS (CA permanent resident) if I went to school in Missouri could I get state residency in Missouri and put my Missouri address as my AMCAS one? I feel like I would have an easier time getting into Missouri schools as a resident. I have worked in Missouri through work study through my school and private tutoring. Does this work? Or will I have to put CA on my AMCAS?
MO may (or may not) consider you IS for application, but not for tuition. You need to look at the websites for the IS schools or call the registrar to be sure. Get something in writing.