Question about Step 2 for the military match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeybaronjr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Does anyone know when we need to take Step 2 CS/CK as it relates to the military match?? I know that applications are "due" on 15 October and the board meets just after Thanksgiving. Therefore, do we need to have Step 2 CS/CK completed by 15 October, just before the board meets, or just sometime before we graduate? Do both parts need to be completed by this time, or just the CK??

Specifically, I am currently planning on taking Step 2 CK at the end of July 2007, spend four weeks for an ADT at Madigan, another 4-6 weeks at BAMC, and finally a surgical sub-I at my home institution to get a final letter for my application. I'm trying to figure out when to schedule Step 2 CS - during July before my ADTs, sometime immediately upon my ADT return or just sometime before I graduate.

I greatly appreciate any input. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the AF so I'm not sure if this applies through all the services, but as long as we had the CK portion of the test taken by the deadline they didn't give a damn when we took the CS. Although it's nice to get that waste of time and money done with as soon as possible.

I'm in the AF so I'm not sure if this applies through all the services, but as long as we had the CK portion of the test taken by the deadline they didn't give a damn when we took the CS. Although it's nice to get that waste of time and money done with as soon as possible.

This seems to make the most logical sense if someone were to review an application for a residency match.

Anyone know how this translates to the Army match? To those who have recently matched with the Army, when did you take each part of Step 2?

Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad :)
I took CK in July so that I would be assured to have the results by October 15th (not just have taken it by the 15th). I learned later that, like many things in the military, you can get away with not taking it.

I took CS in December, but as long as you take it by you graduate you should be fine. I don't know what it's like now, but when I did it there was at least a 6 week wait for a slot, so don't wait too long.

Hey all,

Does anyone know when we need to take Step 2 CS/CK as it relates to the military match?? I know that applications are "due" on 15 October and the board meets just after Thanksgiving. Therefore, do we need to have Step 2 CS/CK completed by 15 October, just before the board meets, or just sometime before we graduate? Do both parts need to be completed by this time, or just the CK??

Specifically, I am currently planning on taking Step 2 CK at the end of July 2007, spend four weeks for an ADT at Madigan, another 4-6 weeks at BAMC, and finally a surgical sub-I at my home institution to get a final letter for my application. I'm trying to figure out when to schedule Step 2 CS - during July before my ADTs, sometime immediately upon my ADT return or just sometime before I graduate.
I greatly appreciate any input. Thanks.

I didn't take step 2 till dec/jan and had no affect on my application. In fact, I received my first choice for full deferrment. To be honest I had a strong app though. If you do not have a strong app, I would advise to take step 2 early enough so it appears as a part of ERAS/match.

Good luck.

For USUHS students we are required to take Step 2 CK by September 30th to ensure scores available for the board which meets just after Thanksgiving each year. Step 2 CK has to be comlpleted by the end of December to give people time to retake it if they fail it. I would imagine that if you were worried about your Step 1 score and wanted to do better on Step 2 for your package these dates would work out fine.

If I had to do it all over again though I would get both of them out of the way as soon as possible.

Wait a minute. You can get away with not taking Step 2 until after the selection board meets???? (I'm asking about Army).

That would actually be ideal for me. Because of my stats it would be more beneficial for me to postpone Step 2 until after the board. I didn't think I could get away with that.

Wait a minute. You can get away with not taking Step 2 until after the selection board meets???? (I'm asking about Army).

That would actually be ideal for me. Because of my stats it would be more beneficial for me to postpone Step 2 until after the board. I didn't think I could get away with that.

i'm navy hpsp. don't know about army.