Question about Student Hosts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

Warren P. Cheswick

I just got my first interview, and I have a question for you.

They have student hosts. However, I have relatives that live in Houston, and it's a short 1 1/2 hours away from where I live. I will need to stay the night because I don't want to fight Houston traffic. The question is...is there any advantage to staying with a student? I would really like to stay at my realtives place since I haven't seen them for a while, but if there's somethign about student hosts please let me know.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Student hosts are a good source of "insider" information on the school. Spending several hours with them could help you discover everything you ever wanted to know about their school.

I stayed with a host for my 1st interview and it was great. Thay can tell you alot of things about the saftey of the surrounding area, what places are good to live at, if the courses are really up to par and the like. Plus their non-medical roomies can also be a fount of information. They have nothing to gain by lying to you so you can be sure of getting the skinny.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if you are interviewing at my school... ;)

I'm an MS1 and a student host. You can probably stay with your relatives and be just fine in terms of getting information. Both of the Houston med schools have social mixers the night before or the night of the interview, where you can mingle with the other interviewees and current students, so I would highly recommend attending that. Also, the tour guides are typically students not on the admissions committee, so you can ask them anything you want, without it reflecting negatively on your chances of admission. Also, at least at Baylor, current students and the tour guides typically hang around in the afternoon while applicants are between tours and interviews, so that would probably be an even better opportunity for talking one on one with a current student and getting a true impression of the school.

Finally, my best advice to every applicant is to talk to as many students as you can, from all the different classes, to get as complete a picture of the school as possible.

Hope this helps -- good luck!

I'm interviewing at UT-Houston.

Is there an advantage (admissionwise) to stay with a student host or not?

Originally posted by NebraskaAggieDoc2Be:
•I'm interviewing at UT-Houston.

Is there an advantage (admissionwise) to stay with a student host or not?•

Absolutely no advantage admission-wise.