Question about study abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NolanW

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I am new here so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. Additionally, sorry this is a long question and thank you if you put in the time to read it. My question is regarding study abroad. My school offers a program for biology majors in which you spend an entire year in Newcastle. In Newcastle you spend the first half of the year studying and the second half gaining clinical experience working with patients. I believe this would be a great opportunity; however, one of my advisors has said it looks good on a med school application but if I want to study abroad somewhere else I can and it won't look any worse. I am deciding between this Newcastle research experience or a half year in Spain in which I would increase my level of Spanish language knowledge to almost fluent as well as get a minor in Spanish. Unfortunately I most likely can only participate in one of these experiences. Does it matter which one I choose? I have always liked language and therefore think Spain would be more fun but I also want study abroad to look good on my future application. Any guidance you all can provide would be much appreciated.

Gracias por su tiempo

Members don't see this ad.

Second half the year working with patients? As an undergrad...? OP is your school one of those that says they have a "pre-med" major?

I would personally do the Spain one but making your c's sound like th's isn't going to help much. The opportunist in me says go to Newcastle for... patient interaction through biology research...?

Go with Spain! I'm of the opinion that very little one could learn in undergrad is as useful than learning a second language.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really doesn't matter. Go where you will have a fulfilling, enjoyable experience.

I say go for Spain. It sounds like your heart is in it. Plus, knowing Spanish and having the minor can really make you stand out. There is also the possibility that you could find some interesting internships offered through your school while you are abroad. I was able to study abroad in Italy for a semester and I got a sweet internship at the medical university nearby. To this day, studying abroad in Italy is still one of my fondest memories. As hackneyed as it sounds, try to have fun when you have the opportunity to do so. If you have any questions about being pre-med and studying abroad, please feel free to send me a message.

Niente! Grazie per la tua domanda :)

Reactions: 1 user
Spain, no questions asked. I studied abroad in Chile and it's been discussed extensively in every single one of my interviews. And honestly, what's the point of studying abroad if you're just going to be sitting in a classroom and studying? You can do that in the US.

Second half the year working with patients? As an undergrad...? OP is your school one of those that says they have a "pre-med" major?

I would personally do the Spain one but making your c's sound like th's isn't going to help much. The opportunist in me says go to Newcastle for... patient interaction through biology research...?
It's supposedly just clinical research. I am from the US so typically wouldn't get to do the clinical research until med school so it's basically just a jump start. Seems cool but doesn't seem like it would be as much fun.
Where in Spain?
There are several different options. Barcelona, Madrid, or Bilbao. I would likely do Bilbao as it is the most Spanish immersive program my school offers (you live with host family, take all classes in Spanish, etc)

I'm a bio/math major and I studied art in a small town in Italy for 6 months. Not only did I enjoy it, but has helped diversify my application and my being dramatically.

In my humble opinion, go where you will enjoy yourself. Both places will have great experiences, but if you, as a person and not just a medical school applicant, are more passionate about one than the other, then the choice is obvious.

Last edited:
You're about to spend a ton of money to go live abroad in what may be one of your only experiences ever living abroad...go where your heart desires. Spain!

Go to Spain, have some fun. When are you going to have a chance at going to Spain again?

You can do clinical experience here. Rural US is just as pretty as the English countryside, and you can experience bland white culture here in your backyard!

Thank you everyone. Additionally, have any of you studied abroad and if you did, did it put you behind schedule for graduation at all?

Thank you everyone. Additionally, have any of you studied abroad and if you did, did it put you behind schedule for graduation at all?

I studied abroad for a semester and no it did not. I had to take a weird biochem class (the pre med one was only taught in the fall when I was abroad, so I had to take biochemistry for chem majors in the spring) but that's the only way it affected me. I know someone who is an engineering major, studied abroad for a year, and is still graduating on time. So it's completely possible.
I highly recommend taking the MCAT December of your junior year and studying abroad Spring of junior year.