Question about taking college classes during the summer (during college)...

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that you are supposed to take all of your premed required courses during the main two semesters (to show rigor in your curriculum), but what about other classes? What if I want to take Arabic but don't want to take it along with all my major courses and premed reqs? I just want to learn the language. Can I take it over the summer?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that you are supposed to take all of your premed required courses during the main two semesters (to show rigor in your curriculum), but what about other classes? What if I want to take Arabic but don't want to take it along with all my major courses and premed reqs? I just want to learn the language. Can I take it over the summer?

You can, although language courses taught during the summer are generally accelerated and/or condensed. I would encourage you to take your language courses (especially if they are Arabic) during the regular school year.

Most people I know tend to try to knock out their gen ed classes during the summer.

You can, although language courses taught during the summer are generally accelerated and/or condensed. I would encourage you to take your language courses (especially if they are Arabic) during the regular school year.

Most people I know tend to try to knock out their gen ed classes during the summer.

And is doing gen ed/distro courses during the summer an acceptable option?

And is doing gen ed/distro courses during the summer an acceptable option?

At both universities I've attended, yes.

I like it because this allows your to focus entirely on your pre-reqs and major requirements during the regular school year. If you feel it's absolutely necessary to take classes during the summer (which it usually isn't, imo), then you can still lighten your load with "easier" gen ed coursework.