Question about taking MCAT again and applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocSophina

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I just got my MCATs back yesterday and didn't do as well as I would like (29Q). I plan to study my ass off and take it again in August again because I really want to go to med school in 2007. My gpa is 3.96.

If I decided to submit my app. now, the med schools would see my poor April MCAT. Would they disregard my application without waiting for my August scores to come out? I don't want to be ruled about because of the April MCAT, is there a way to indicate that I plan to take it again in August?

Also, how would the first MCAT effect me if I do significantly better the second time around? Would they disregard the first set of grades and take the higher of the two? or factor both in?

Thanks for your respones!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. 29Q is not a horrible MCAT score, it's above nat'l average last time I checked. Ooo, I have to go so I'll post more next time. ^_^ sorry, but you'll be fine applying right now, even to top tier school.

I think you should retake the test in August, do your secondaries, schools will wait for your August scores before reviewing your application. If you do better the second time (which you probably will), it will help you get more interviews and acceptances.

I retook the test and increased my score 4 points, which made all the difference.

i'm kinda in the same boat. 28S (10V, 9 both sciences) and a 3.9 in biology. i am going to submit today or tomorrow. i really don't want to retake, i work 40hrs a week and have to get in shape for basketball season. i have decent ECs and can get really good LORs. i have also seen a lot of stats out there about people not actually doing that much better when they take april then august. i am debating the retake...advice would be nice. advice on school to apply to would also be nice. i am WA resident and go to school in CO. my list kinda looks like this so far:
Uwash
Ucol
Loyola
creighton
drexel
temple
jefferson
gw
georgetown
ohsu
rush

i really would like some more suggestions, i don't especially want to go to NY city. thanks in advance :thumbup: