Question about Thank You Note Design

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I've pretty much set myself up for a nice inside look. Name across the top in a nice Serif font in bold, with tall and short capitals.

But... for the envelope, I don't want it to look tacky, either. Is a clear sticker return address okay, or should I go the extra mile and get those custom-print too? Custom-print address appears on the back of the envelope, above the seal. Mailing label would probably appear on the classic top left front above the address. And... are seals a nice finishing touch? I know it seems I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but I'd prefer not to have a great finisher only to have my thank you note fall flat before it actually gets there.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

seriously?

:confused:

...Seriously?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, little dude.
i wrote one of my thank yous on japanese stationary with toadstools and robins, and i got in. i think you can get away with handwriting the return address. :)

I'm being deadly serious. Interviewers take time out of their day to come down and talk to some random student, who in this case happens to me, to ask them questions. I want to be able to show that I understand that they took time out of their schedule to have done so, and be willing to do the same for them.

Christ man, it's a letter...

I'm being deadly serious. Interviewers take time out of their day to come down and talk to some random student, who in this case happens to me, to ask them questions. I want to be able to show that I understand that they took time out of their schedule to have done so, and be willing to do the same for them.

and you'll fly hundreds of miles to meet them. appreciation is appropriate, but obsequiousness is unwarranted.

i folded up a benjamin franklin in an awesome origami design with a copy of my business card, and hand delivered it...:)

OK, so I've pretty much set myself up for a nice inside look. Name across the top in a nice Serif font in bold, with tall and short capitals.

But... for the envelope, I don't want it to look tacky, either. Is a clear sticker return address okay, or should I go the extra mile and get those custom-print too? Custom-print address appears on the back of the envelope, above the seal. Mailing label would probably appear on the classic top left front above the address. And... are seals a nice finishing touch? I know it seems I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but I'd prefer not to have a great finisher only to have my thank you note fall flat before it actually gets there.

Thanks for your help!

:wow:

I'm still laughing at the PERFECT use of above smiley in response to original post!

To be sincere - If there's a return address (written, printed or stuck) in the upper left hand corner of the front of the envelope you do not also need a(written printed or stuck) return address on the back flap of the envelope. Just one place or the other. I think having both seals and stickers are just a little much. JMO.

...and I'm sure the nice wastebasket underneath the poor overworked secretary's desk is really going to appreciate all that extra effort.

(Sweet Jesus, and here I thought *I* was a stickler for professional courtesy...But seriously, instead of spending all this time and effort on the envelope, it's the content that you should care about...and FYI, at most schools the content will have little to no impact on your outcome since interviewers will receive them days, weeks after submitting their evals of you.)

yeah, i sent a handwritten card with a nice purple flower on the front of it. I'm pretty sure its the thought that counts... although I haven't heard back from that school yet...