Question about the 1 year Biology Lab requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayel

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have already taken 1 semester of General Biology with a Lab.

I also have taken 1 semester of Human Physiology and Microbiology.

I have been working in a research lab (cell bio) for 3 semester units of credit per semester for the last 4 semesters. On my transcript, it's titled, "Special Study in Biology".

I know that I don't have to take any other Biology lectures, but do I still have to take one more semester of Biology lab? I'm in my last semester of my post-bacc program, and the Human Physiology lab and Microbiology labs are all filled!

Does working in a research lab for credit count towards the biology lab prerequisite?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a bio major and don't have much experience with this, but I wouldn't think that research would count towards bio lab pre reqs. I think they want an actual graded lab here (not research).

It will vary by school for sure, and I can see some accepting that research credit but I wonder if all of them will. Go and talk (not email!) to the professor to see if there is anyway to get into those classes, explain your problem! Is there anyway you can get into the second semester of general bio lab?

Based on my gut, I wouldnt think that it would count. Bu then again, it might. And it might vary between schools. Taking another lab would make you guaranteed safe, but the research could count at certain schools. The only way to know is to call the schools and ask em.