Question about the active transport. bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesolic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

what's the difference btwn Na/K pump and Na/K ATPase

what does that mean " Na/K pump fuels the secondary active transport of glucose ( & other substances ) against their concentration gradient ?

isn't the Na/K pump working just to transport Na+ and K+ ??? why does glucose and other substances involved in this system ?

Members don't see this ad.

1. what's the difference btwn Na/K pump and Na/K ATPase

i dont believe there is a difference...

3 Na+ ions moved out and 2 K+ ions moved into the cell = Na+/K+ pump/ATP-ase = primary active transport bc it uses ATP to pump
---bc high [K+] and low [Na+] in resting cell (resting mem. potential is maintained by the pump)

2. what does that mean " Na/K pump fuels the secondary active transport of glucose ( & other substances ) against their concentration gradient ?

isn't the Na/K pump working just to transport Na+ and K+ ??? why does glucose and other substances involved in this system ?

secondary active transport means it relies on primary active transport to create a [gradient] (low [Na+] inside cell) to allow a Na+/glucose symport (back into the cell)
-----this happens in the stomach and the kidneys

*there are other sodium linked cotransproters/symporters but i think they are out of the scope of DAT studying*

can anyone else clarify this if i made a mistake...

Sodium is used to cotransport glucose into the cell via a symport (2 molecules being transported the same way). The symport uses the sodium concentration (less intracellularly) to increase its affinity for glucose and bring it into the cell. It is secondary active transport because you need to maintain the sodium gradient so you have a driving force to bring glucose in, so the sodium potassium pump (which uses ATP) is needed.