Question about the D.O. match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allendo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey can I rank a program I want to start at after intern year, match there and then scramble for an internship position. Does the match work like this or do you have to go into the match again after intern year???

Members don't see this ad.

If the program requires an internship year prior to residency, then you will rank programs for internship and you will rank programs for residency. If, however, the program does not require an internship year and there are no programs that have the rotating internship as the PGY-1 year, then you will have to go into the match again after intern year.

allendo said:
Hey can I rank a program I want to start at after intern year, match there and then scramble for an internship position. Does the match work like this or do you have to go into the match again after intern year???

You only match for PGY-1 positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMMFellow06 said:
If the program requires an internship year prior to residency, then you will rank programs for internship and you will rank programs for residency. If, however, the program does not require an internship year and there are no programs that have the rotating internship as the PGY-1 year, then you will have to go into the match again after intern year.

If the program does not require an internship year, why would you do one?
Also, as OSUDoc said, I thought you only match into PGY1 positions (thus not residency and internship at the same time). :confused:

(nicedream) said:
If the program does not require an internship year, why would you do one?
Also, as OSUDoc said, I thought you only match into PGY1 positions (thus not residency and internship at the same time). :confused:

Programs such as Anesthesia, PM&R, and Neurology all require an internship year before residency so if I was graduating right now, I would have ranked programs for PGY-1(internship) and programs for PGY-2 (residency)

OMMFellow06 said:
Programs such as Anesthesia, PM&R, and Neurology all require an internship year before residency so if I was graduating right now, I would have ranked programs for PGY-1(internship) and programs for PGY-2 (residency)

With my first question, I was referring to when you said "If, however, the program does not require an internship year and there are no programs that have the rotating internship as the PGY-1 year, then you will have to go into the match again after intern year." If it does not require an internship year, why would you do one?
Also, it was my understanding, as I and OSUDoc said, that you can only match into PGY-1 positions (no advanced match for DO programs).

allendo said:

How you rank programs is dependant on what program you want to match to. If the program has as advanced position (meaning starting PGY2) then you will rank 2 programs, advanced and intern (PGY1). If you so choose, you can rank advanced only and then scramble into an intern position. I know some people in my class this year that did an alopathic match for their advanced position then scrambled into a DO internship year.

Hope this answers your question

OMMFellow06 said:
I would like to add couple of more programs for advanced positions: dermatology, radiology, Opthalmology.

The AOA match does not offer advanced positions...

the above posters are right. in the AOA match, you're just ranking programs straight up to start them the next year. thats why most of them are either TRI or CMB (combined progs.). some of the osteo programs that would start PGY2 don't actually participate in the osteo match, they just have their own apps.

the AOA programs in anesth, rads, gen. surg., ortho, etc. are mostly all CMB, or combined internship & residency programs. so when you rank those programs, you're matching PGY1 and beyond.

if you're interested in one of those specialties that start PGY2 (anesth, ophtho, PM&R, Gen. Surg, rads, etc) you can match and secure your PGY2 in the allo match, and then scramble back to get a TRI somewhere.

if you know you're going to go for something like that, and you're sure about it, it makes sense to go ahead and lockup your PGY1, either a TRI or categorial or whatever in the AOA or when you're trying to match allo. The thing is, since the AOA match is so much earlier than the allo match, and open unmatched spots are usually first-come-fist-served, so if you wait to see what happens in allo for PGY2 and beyond, before trying to figure out PGY1, your choices could get limited. but TRI's abound, and so do allo Transitional Internships, so it shouldn't be that big a deal.