Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Question about the eyes

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by FutureMD, Aug 27, 2001.

1. FutureMD

FutureMD Junior Member

Can someone explain the "pain/discomfort" experienced when a person is exposed to sudden, bright lights after being fully dark adapted?

I don't think the eyes have pain receptors.

Is it the result of a feedback mechanism due to the over stimulus of the Iodopsin and/or the relaxing of the ciliary muscle?

Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    No pain receptors in the eye? Stab someone in the eye and ask him if it hurts. :)

Is there an ophthalmologist in the house? Or how about a really, really advanced OD student? CPW? :)

4. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus

Optometrist
    Well, I've only been in school ONE WEEK! But, I do know that the eye has pain receptors. Ever get an eye lash in there? Yeah, it HURTS!

I'm not sure why it hurts... but my GUESS (and I mean guess) would be it's a reflex (since the bright light bleaches the photoreceptors and it's just not real good for you to be exposed to bright lights after dilation) to get you OUT of the sun/bright lights.