Question about the importance of "linkage"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullsoncharades

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all
I don't post here much, so here it goes!

I was wondering about the importance of linkage. From what I gather, linkage is a nice way to, in a way, lower the amount of stress on the applicant -- get a 3.X and you get a guaranteed interview. It's as simple as that. It lets us know exactly what we need to do and it's set in stone. Do you guys agree with my take on this?

My main qualm is my number 1 school does not have a "post-bac with linkage". Assuming I work my butt off and do well at a post-bac (let's say over a 3.5), will this lead to me having an increased chance of getting an interview at medical schools regardless of the postbac? I guess what I'm trying to ask is if I absolutely kill the post-bac at either Loyola or a lesser-known Osteopathic program, will this be favorably viewed by all schools despite which post-bac I chose? For example, is PCOM's post-bac with linkage only relevant to PCOM? If I don't see myself attending PCOM as a medical student would I be better off attending a different post-bac? I would enjoy doing my post-bac work in a city close to home, but obviously am trying to attend one that will give me the best chance of getting into any school. At this point, I know that I have to show admissions that I can handle high-level science courses, so does it even matter where I attend as long as I get As or high Bs?
Thanks so much guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all
I don't post here much, so here it goes!

I was wondering about the importance of linkage. From what I gather, linkage is a nice way to, in a way, lower the amount of stress on the applicant -- get a 3.X and you get a guaranteed interview. It's as simple as that. It lets us know exactly what we need to do and it's set in stone. Do you guys agree with my take on this?

My main qualm is my number 1 school does not have a "post-bac with linkage". Assuming I work my butt off and do well at a post-bac (let's say over a 3.5), will this lead to me having an increased chance of getting an interview at medical schools regardless of the postbac? I guess what I'm trying to ask is if I absolutely kill the post-bac at either Loyola or a lesser-known Osteopathic program, will this be favorably viewed by all schools despite which post-bac I chose? For example, is PCOM's post-bac with linkage only relevant to PCOM? If I don't see myself attending PCOM as a medical student would I be better off attending a different post-bac? I would enjoy doing my post-bac work in a city close to home, but obviously am trying to attend one that will give me the best chance of getting into any school. At this point, I know that I have to show admissions that I can handle high-level science courses, so does it even matter where I attend as long as I get As or high Bs?
Thanks so much guys!

Hi! I am in a similar situation, from what I have gathered it really depends on where you want to go after. If possible, I would encourage you to try and contact students from these programs. What is probably most important is figuring out how many students complete these program and how many of them end up getting into medical school. Many people on SDN forums seem to suggest that you want to choose a program with a matriculation rate of at least 75%.

One of the programs that I was accepted into was Drexel MBS. I thought that it was great how many linkages were associated with the program and then I spoke to a student and they let me know that the linkages were actually quite hard to achieve and the final number of students who ended up matriculating to those programs were quite low (only a couple). Now I am deciding between another MD MS Post-bac and a DO Certificate post-bac with linkage. I am also planning a campus visit.

Just something to consider but guaranteed interview does not equal guaranteed acceptance. If you want to apply to MD schools it might be better to go with an established program that adcoms are familiar with. Ultimately, the decision is up to you but just make sure you feel comfortable that you can succeed wherever you go.

I am not sure any of this helped you but I am just trying to pass along information that I have learned.

Good Luck with your decision!