1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about the May 15th deadline

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SuperSlacker, May 1, 2007.

1. SuperSlacker

SuperSlacker Master Procrastinator
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I know we're supposed to retain one acceptance, and drop the rest...

I am holding acceptances at a few MSTP, but have been waitlisted by my top choices (accepted MD only). My question is, do I have to drop these offers to avoid the possibility of having my other acceptances rescinded after May 15th? Does MD/PhD waitlist count as a "waitlist", or will they look at the fact that I'm accepted already to MD?

Confused and a little worried - thanks in advance for any insight.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would call and ask the school.

4. greg1184

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    First, call each school you are waitlisted in and find out if they will tell you your chances. Next, you need to consider if any of your top schools are worth throwing the dice if you don't get off the waitlist on May 15. Is there anything special regarding those schools that your current acceptances won't give you. From what I read here, med schools do not like students who drop acceptances and apply next year.

5. excalibre

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Woah, wait a minute. If you accept a schools offer and keep if after May 15th 07, other schools will remove you from their wait list??? I thought that you were only allowed one acceptance after May 15th (aka choose School A from multiple acceptances) then if another school gave you an offer after May 15th, School B, then all you had to do was decline School A and take School B's offer. Am I missing something here and where is the official area in AMCAS that explains this (I can't find any).

6. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If I understand the Op, he has been accepted into the MD programs at his top choice spots, but is on the waitlist as far as the MSTP spots. He doesn't want to lose his MSTP acceptance by keeping his waitlist MD acceptances, but doesn't want to decline his MD acceptance (at the MSTP waitlist schools) for fear that this will prevent him from getting into their MSTP program.

This is different than what you described. I believe what you described is correct.

7. excalibre

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Right - I missed, I see what he means now. Thanks.