Question about Timeline of Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lyates93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my DAT a little early, January of my Junior year, therefore I had not had Organic Chem II and basically had not taken Chem II (due to my decision to take it online, in which my learning was minimized so I plan on retaking Chem II in June). I also plan on retaking the DAT in mid-July.

My scores were:
PA: 19
QR: 19
RC: 23
Bio: 16 :(
GC: 20
OC: 19
TS: 18
AA: 19

I know I significantly need to raise my biology score, which I have been studying a lot for that section. I think my Gen Chem and Organic will go up because I will have taken both Organic II and Chem II since the last time I tested.

I wanted to hear everyone's opinion on when I should apply? Should I wait until after my June Chem II class and after I retake the DAT. I obviously want them to consider my second round of DAT scores, especially in the Biology section. In addition I am concerned that since I took Chem II online my application will not be considered at some schools, which is another reason why I am retaking the course, and I am not sure if I should wait till it is completed. Other than these issues my transcript, personal statement, and LORs are ready to be submitted.

Also, I am a Georgia resident and will be applying to many schools, but my first school of choice is GRU. I would love to hear everyone's opinion on my chances of getting into GRU.
Considering my above DAT scores (which I am expecting to increase), along with
Overall GPA: 3.83,
science GPA: 3.8
BCP GPA: 3.61
I am in the honors college, work full time at the tutoring center as a peer tutor at my university, am involved in 4 clubs and hold leadership positions, and also I am a part of four honors societies.
I have an average amount of volunteer hours and shadowing hours ~ 150

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Solid GPA. The only thing holding you back is that 16. So I would study hard for the next couple of weeks and retake then apply.
I think as long as you get everything together in july-ish. It's not terribly late with your stats.

Thanks larry, anybody else have any opinions on my scenario?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think people differ in opinions as to whether to apply before or after a DAT retake (because there is a potential that a school may reject you without waiting for your retake, not sure how common this is but I've seen it happen), so with regards to that I think you should search the forums and decide what you're comfortable with.

Great GPA like Larry said. I agree that getting everything together in July should not make you late. Best of luck on your retake!

If I begin my application on AADSAS tomorrow but do not submit it until July can dental schools still see the things I have completed thus far? And will they consider my first DAT scores, before I actually submit the application?

If I begin my application on AADSAS tomorrow but do not submit it until July can dental schools still see the things I have completed thus far? And will they consider my first DAT scores, before I actually submit the application?

No and no. AADSAS needs to be submitted for the GPA verification to occur, and after that is done the application is electronically sent to dental schools. Dental schools will not see anything before that, and will not review your application until everything is complete.

As I said before, if you submitted the application there would be a possibility that a school could review your application without waiting for the new DAT scores. This is why some people may say to wait until your DAT retake before submitting. I am not actually sure how often it happens, but I have seen it happen once or twice on this forum.

I am in a similar boat, except I'll be a reapplicant. GRU is my top choice and I'll be retaking the DAT in July (i've kicked butt studying for it this time so hopefully my score will reflect that). Hopefully we'll both be in next years class! Good luck on your studying!

Last edited: