Question about timing of MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imsogoodlooking

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I'm new here. Sorry if this has been answered before but I looked and didn't get a clear-cut answer. When is the best time to go to business school? Is it possible to take a break in med school to go to another institution for business school or do most people go in residency or what?

Before anyone suggests the combined MD/MBA program, I want to go to specific business schools (Harvard, Wharton, MIT, or Stanford) and I don't think I have the credentials to get in their respective medical schools.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I suspect that no one has a good answer. :)

Though I should add... you're confident that you can get into a top-tier business school but not a top-tier medical school? What's that about? Do you have extensive work/leadership/management experience?

If it's absolutely critical that you go to a top business school (while also becoming a physician), then I think you should focus on getting into medical school first. Every medical school is different when it comes to policies about "doing other stuff" during medical school.

Well I never said I was confident that I can get into a top-tier business school, I just said I want to get in. According to US News, the % accepted and GPA for a top business school is quite a bit lower than for a top medical school. Thanks for the response!