Question about timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubsaresexy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might seem kind of obvious to some people, but I just want to make sure that I have everything straight. If I want to matriculate at a medical school in the fall of 2010, I would fill out the 2010 AMCAS application, right? And I would want to start that at the beginning of next summer?

Also, do I have to have taken the MCAT before submitting my application, or is it best to submit the AMCAS app as early as possible, regardless of whether I have my test scores?

Members don't see this ad.

1). If I want to matriculate at a medical school in the fall of 2010, I would fill out the 2010 AMCAS application, right? And I would want to start that at the beginning of next summer?

2) Also, do I have to have taken the MCAT before submitting my application, or is it best to submit the AMCAS app as early as possible, regardless of whether I have my test scores?

1) To attend medical school in the fall of 2010, you would apply to AMCAS a year from now in June of 2009.

2) You can submit to AMCAS before you take the MCAT and have the scores back. When the scores come in, the entire application will be considered by schools you selected. To get the best consideration, you want to have your entire application complete and your transcripts certified as early in the season as possible, June and July being considered as optimal, August within reason, September-November being late (others opinions vary on what is considered early, midrange, and late for the application). If you apply beyond mid July, it can take 2-6 weeks for AMCAS to certify your transcripts, so this must be considered as you plan your timing.