Question about traffic rules 5/15 deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reco55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have been accepted and committed somewhere but am still alternate list elsewhere - how does the traffic rule work? Do I have to give up my alternate list by Thursday? Thanks! I think I'm drained and can't think straight anymore!

Members don't see this ad.

You may stay on a waitlist (or multiple waitlists) until you begin orientation at a medical school. At that point, you must withdraw from the school s that have you waitlisted.

If you are happy with the school that has accepted you and ready to move forward, withdraw from the school that has you on the waitlist. If you stay on the waitlist, there is a chance that you will get a call after May 15th offering you admission at that other school. you will be given some time to hold both acceptance (2 weeks early in the process, less time if you are admitted off the waitlist close to the first day of classes).

Reactions: 2 users
Please, if you are (as LizzyM said) if you are happy, please withdraw from the others. There are a lot of people who only have waitlists.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What do I need to do exactly before May 15 if I have multiple acceptance? Do I inform (by email) individually the schools that I want to withdraw or sign on to AMCAS website to make the selection?

What do I need to do exactly before May 15 if I have multiple acceptance? Do I inform (by email) individually the schools that I want to withdraw or sign on to AMCAS website to make the selection?
Email the schools individually.

Actually, my alternate list is my top choice. So, I'm sorry, but I guess I stay on it. Maybe, they will let me know this week so I can free up the other spot for someone. Not trying to be inconsiderate, just want whats the best for my situation.

Actually, my alternate list is my top choice. So, I'm sorry, but I guess I stay on it. Maybe, they will let me know this week so I can free up the other spot for someone. Not trying to be inconsiderate, just want whats the best for my situation.

Thats completely fine! People are just saying its considerate to drop waitlists for schools you KNOW you wouldn't attend over current acceptances :]

Reactions: 1 user
Email the schools individually.
Thanks. Was is only me being ignorant and everyone else already knew what to do with multiple acceptances? I would think AMCAS has a systematic way to administer this. It seems to me that it depends on all individual applicants to voluntarily inform (phone call, email, or mail) schools. What if someone forget or does not know or email system errors, lost or delayed mail, unclear voice messages? Will you get penalized? I am still not sure how this works.

Thanks. Was is only me being ignorant and everyone else already knew what to do with multiple acceptances? I would think AMCAS has a systematic way to administer this. It seems to me that it depends on all individual applicants to voluntarily inform (phone call, email, or mail) schools. What if someone forget or does not know or email system errors, lost or delayed mail, unclear voice messages? Will you get penalized? I am still not sure how this works.
If you fail to withdraw by May 15th, schools where you are holding multiple accepts may choose to withdraw you themselves. We usually contact people before doing this but it is not required.

Reactions: 2 users

what gyngyn says.. and also, "penalized" in that many schools say the deposits are non-refundable after May 15th, so there's that.

personally, all the schools I've been accepted to have made mention of the May 15th deadline, so yes, it is on you to remember first before being contacted by the school.

If you fail to withdraw by May 15th, schools where you are holding multiple accepts may choose to withdraw you themselves. We usually contact people before doing this but it is not required.

So if I have an acceptance to two schools I'm considering, but I have NOT received financial aid from one of the schools do I still have to make a decision, by the 15th? I'm waiting anxiously for financial aid info.

So if I have an acceptance to two schools I'm considering, but I have NOT received financial aid from one of the schools do I still have to make a decision, by the 15th? I'm waiting anxiously for financial aid info.
Although technically either school could withdraw you, the one that hasn't given you your COA/loan info would not reasonably do so. You might want to let the other one know (by email) the reason for the delay with an estimate of your decision date. That would work for me.

Wow!! you guys are no joke.

If I was accepted to a school recently (past few days), is there a way I can get an extension to make the decision?

If I was accepted to a school recently (past few days), is there a way I can get an extension to make the decision?
Around this time of year, you should be able to hold on to two schools for up to two weeks if you have just received an offer. Just let the other school know that you are waiting on COA/loan info from the new school (if that is the case).

Reactions: 1 user