question about turning down a school....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applyingforMPH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently deciding between a few schools for my mph. The schools that I decide not to go to, is there a way to basically say thank you for the offer, but I am taking another road, in a very polite way? The reason I ask is because at this time, I am going for my MPH. However, it is likely in the future that I will get my PhD in the field as well. I would rather be as polite as possible than just say no thank you. If I decide to reapply in the future, I don't want the way in which I turn the school down to affect future decisions. Does anyone have any opinions on this or does is really not matter one way or another? Should I email the director of admissions or just fill out that form and call it a day? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Just send an email thanking anyone who contacted you directly for the offer. Chances are, 3+ years from now when you're applying for a PhD, they won't remember your name anyway. Remember, some of these schools get over 1000 applicants.

The response form will usually have a few space to explain why you are decline..be polite in it and send them a mail saying thanks for their cosideration..that will be fine i guess

Members don't see this ad :)
I need to turn down several (7) schools as well but I wasn't planning to do so, thinking they'd assume that once the confirmation deadline had elapsed. Costs me a thousand bucks (in my currency) per courier from here. If not letting them know will be in bad taste, can't I just shoot them (the admissions department I guess) a polite email? Is this OK?

Just send an email thanking anyone who contacted you directly for the offer. Chances are, 3+ years from now when you're applying for a PhD, they won't remember your name anyway. Remember, some of these schools get over 1000 applicants.

Oh! I read this only just now. I guess you're right and it's okay. Not such a big deal and quite like I'd thought.

I sent all my schools emails. Also, I withdrew my application from a few places as well via email.